Premiere Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Resist, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    My new Premiere arrived today and I'm trying to set up all my old Season Passes that I had on my older Tivo. I am using the Tivo Slide remote. Everything used to be very snappy on my older Series 3 Tivo with the Slide remote, but now with this new box things seem very sluggish. I'm also having issues setting up the Season Passes, not liking the new interface as it seems harder to use, maybe I just have to get used to it not sure. It's not finding many of my new shows and some it only found on a Standard Def channel. Some of the HD shows it does find, it doesn't give me a Season Pass option. The Premiere has all my HD channels setup in using the Guide, so I am confused as what is going on.

I'm also not receiving some of my HiDef channels. Everything was fine on those channels with my Series 3 Tivo. I'm wondering if now all of a sudden I need a tuning adapter.

The Premiere is also taking a long time with its network connection, been 30 minutes and only at 19%. And I have it connected to 20MB internet via ethernet.

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Okay so I figured out how to go back to the SD menu. I like it so much better than the HD menu because I'm used to my Series 3's menu. The remote inputs were much faster with the SD menu as well.

I restarted the Premiere but the network connection is still very slow. I'm wondering if it's downloading a program update for the box and that could be the reason.

Still not getting some of my HD channels. If it turns out that I do need a tuning adapter, I don't get why the Premiere needs it when my Series 3 didn't.

3. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    If your Series 3 didn't need it, neither does your Premiere.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    If I don't need a tuning adapter, then why am I not able to get some of my HD channels on the Premiere box? When go to those channels I get a black screen or the content starts but freezes and then the Cablecard menu pops up. Could it just be a cablecard issue?

5. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Yes. Time to call your provider.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Been on the phone with them twice today. They are sending out a tech tomorrow. I told them to have him bring at least two Cablecards and two tuning adapters. I fear he won't bring anything, as they have done that in the past because the techs aren't reading the account notes.

One thing I have discovered is that all the HD channels I lost, are part of Charter's Expanded Service channels. The SD channels in that lineup are fine though.

I guess if I do need a tuning adapter, it strikes me as being odd that just a few hours ago everything worked fine with my Series 3 Tivo but after moving one of its M-Cablecards to the new Premiere and having it paired, now I'm missing HD channels.

7. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe the TiVo station listing is missing these channels. Do you have multiple cable provider choices and/or multiple cable lineup choices? My cable provider is RCN and my cable lineup is Digital. OR your account setup on the cable company side does not correctly include the HiDef channels which are paired to your cable card. If they make a change to your account setup, they will need to reflash your cable card.

The TiVo servers may be slow. I'd make sure all the downloads and updates are complete before the cable guy shows up. If you can, reboot the TiVo when you think it is finished. I vaguely recall it took many hours for all my channels and the full 2 week listing of programs to download. Also, ask if they can flash your cable card again when you think everything is finished.

GL

Check out Settings & Messages | Account & System Information | System Information for the Free Disk Space info. Once TiVo added this to the SD menu I have never gone back to the slow, buggy HDUI.

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    My cable listings are correct, even have those missing HD channels checked in the channel list. I've narrowed it down to missing all the HD channels on Charter's Expanded Service lineup and one HD channel in their Digital View Plus lineup. Seems more and more like I need a tuning adapter. Just not sure why they worked fine with my older Series 3 yesterday without a tuning adapter and now not with this new Premiere.

I rebooted the box again to get the latest service update, it's been 9 hours and it's still showing the "Preparing the service update...This may take up to an hour, possibly longer" screen.

9. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Dude, if you didn't need TA on Series 3, you don't need it on Premiere.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well apparently that's not the case.

11. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    When you tune to one of those HD channels, a CableCARD menu pops up, right?

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes, the Cablecard menu pops up on the HD channels I'm not getting, that I should be getting.

13. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Obviously a CableCARD issue. It wouldn't be popping the card menu up if it was an issue with SDV. You would be getting a message like, "Channel not available" if it was a SDV channel. The card probably isn't authorized for premium/HD content.

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Then why am I getting all my other premium/HD content like HBO and Showtime?

15. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    If it pops card menu up, not issue with SDV, its an issue with the card. Your method of deduction is equivalent to:

*driving along - engine explodes*
    You: "Hmm, must be an issue with the power locks."

I will say it one more time to be perfectly clear. Card menu pops up when attempting to tune to a channel = problem with card.

16. smr

smr I'm Batman

Oct 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I have all of the same issues you are having. I called Brighthouse (Orlando) 4 times and had 2 techs come out. I personally swapped cable cards and tuning adapters. I still have a working series 3 (with TA) that would get channels that I could NOT get on my new Premiere.

FINALLY, I got a "Priority" appointment and had 2 techs come out at the same time. After 2 more hours they figured out that FIRST, I had a bad USB cable (supplied by Brighthouse). Secondly, they figured out that my (third) tuning adapter was bad. Finally, they changed my cable card FOUR TIMES (they brought 5 between them). Now I have everything working perfectly.

Believe it or not, one of the cable guy's name was LARRY. I kid you not.

Patience, perserverance, and Larry the Cable Guy will get you through this.

Good Luck!

smr

17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    SMR, But I don't have a tuning adapter yet. Interestingly only the HD channels in Charter's Expanded Service lineup and one HD channel in the Digital View Plus lineup are effected. All my other HD channels are fine.

MC Hammer, If the issue is with my Cablecard then why did it work fine moments before on my Series 3 Tivo? This issue only happened after pairing the M-Card to my new Tivo Premiere.

18. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Cisco or Motorola M-Card?

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Scientific Atlanta, which is Cisco I believe.

20. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'd call TiVo. Getting the software up-to-date is important and the cable guys may just punt and say its a TiVo software issue.