Premiere is Here

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by eaglestvo, Mar 18, 2011.

1. eaglestvo

eaglestvo Member

Dec 27, 2008

Advertisements

... and it is awesome. I ordered my Premiere box as an upgrade from HD through Tivo along with 12 months prepaid and a 2 year warranty. I received the box last Friday, and it has worked flawlessly.

This is my first Tivo box at my home. My other Tivo is installed at my vacation home in The Outer Banks with a CableCard and Charter Cable. At home I am running OTA with a rooftop antenna. I cut off Fios last November after finally getting tired of paying ~$150/month to watch TV. I did have a Fios DVR, but I never really recorded much because I found it not as easy to use a Tivo. I had a Winegard 1080 antenna installed on the roof, and I get all the DC area channels with a strong signal.

I actually put off getting a Premiere because of all the negative reviews that I have read about the product. I finally decided to try for myself and just return it if it does not work well. I read a lot of posts about stability issues, very slow response, and terrible OTA reception.

The new HDUI works very well for me. It is actually much faster than the UI on my HD box. When I first hooked up the antenna, I was having some major signal problems. I found some loose connections, and I found a unneeded splitter on the line from the old Fios installation. After correcting those issues, the signal strength is solid, and I get the major stations which meter in the mid 70s to mid 90 range. The HD OTA picture on my Sony Bravia is amazing!

We watch a lot of Netflix and AVOD. I have no issues at all playing Netflix movies and TV shows. I prefer the PS3 and AppleTV viewers because I can browse the full catalog, but the Tivo viewer works great otherwise. Amazon VOD is also working very well. I had posted a while back with a complaint that it takes like 8-10 hours to download a movie on my HD box. But on my premiere, it downloads much faster, and I can start watching within about 20 minutes. Part of the difference might also be my ISP which is Fios vs Charter. The networking is also working well. I use sort of a hybrid ethernet connection through a Sonos Zoneplayer box which has a proprietary wireless network to a zone bridge and the router.

So far, it is a great addition to the TV. I should have tried it sooner. Tivo is definitely a great option for OTA TV viewers.

2. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Congratulations, and I hope you continue to enjoy the Tivo Premiere. If you don't mind a question: do you have FiOS internet still? Did they really jack the price on that after you killed the TV service?

3. eaglestvo

eaglestvo Member

Dec 27, 2008
    When I dropped fios tv, I switched the Internet and phone from no contract to a 2 year contract and increase the speed from 25 to 35 mb service. I pay $94/month for the Internet and home phone with unlimited long distance and voice mail.

A couple weeks ago, fios called me and said they were doing an install in my neighborhood, and they wanted to know if I would be interested in setting up tv service for a discounted price of only $130/month.