Premiere intermittent sound loss post here

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DonB., Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1 of 14
    DonB.

DonB. Love My TIVO !!

Apr 4, 2010
    South Florida

Advertisements

If anyone is experiencing the odd sound loss on your new Premiere please post here and describe when you are loosing sound, what channel, and what you have done to get it back

I get the odd sound loss when I am on a HD channel or sometimes when I am exiting Tivo Central, to get it back I sometimes hit the replay button, or change channel, etc.. it is not always the same thing that gets the sound back and changing the Dolby settings sis not work for me and yes I am using HDMI direct to the TV,and also have the RCA connected to a VCR for transfers when need be and have tried the Dolby Digital PCM and still got a sound loss under that setting :cool:

2. Apr 6, 2010 #2 of 14
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are you using HDMI direct to your TV? Or to a A/V receiver?

If direct to a TV, I assume you've set the TiVo to output PCM under Settings -> Audio -> Dolby Digital? PCM is the appropriate output setting when using TV speakers.

3. Apr 6, 2010 #3 of 14
    DonB.

DonB. Love My TIVO !!

Apr 4, 2010
    South Florida
    I edited my post to reflect that and yes it is direct, and have tried DD PCM and still got sound loss yesterday and I also have the RCA connected to a VCR for video transfers, but I will try it again and see

4. Apr 6, 2010 #4 of 14
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    On programs where you experience sound loss, do you experience audio dropouts during PC playback of the downloaded recording?

5. Apr 7, 2010 #5 of 14
    DonB.

DonB. Love My TIVO !!

Apr 4, 2010
    South Florida

Advertisements

Not sure I understand your questions, but I am not using it on PC playback at all, and no the sound goes out sometimes when I switch from a free HD channel, and sometimes when I am in TIVO Central and moving around, I will make note of it next time it happens and let you know, in the meantime I switched it back to DD PCM to see if it happens again there in that setting

6. Apr 7, 2010 #6 of 14
    GCymbala

GCymbala New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Setup: TiVo Premiere connected via HDMI directly to TV. I haven't changed the sound output from whatever its default is.

My sound cuts out occasionally when going from live TV to TiVo Central, but also sometimes when switching between tuners or simply changing channels.

7. Apr 7, 2010 #7 of 14
    puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I've experienced a slight delay in sound when switching channels and going from Tivo central to live TV. Its very momentary though.

8. Dec 7, 2010 #8 of 14
    crazylikethat25

crazylikethat25 New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I have a new premiere box and it is connected thru the hdmi cord to an audio tuner. The sound drops out intermittently on any channel and comes back within 2 minutes or sooner if i turn the audio receiver off and on. The hdmi cord is new got it when i got the box. as a side note i had my cable company's dvr connected to the audio receiver before i got the premiere box and did not have this problem.

9. Dec 8, 2010 #9 of 14
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I have hdmi to my tv and toslink from tv to receiver. I sometimes lose sound, but always get it back by turning the tv off then back on.

Andy

10. whm

whm New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I was intermittently getting no sound from certain Netflix and on-demand videos.... never had a dropout of TV sound. I was using an HDMI connection to the TV, but it didn't matter whether it was in DD or DD to PCM mode. It always seemed to happen with videos or movies that were in standard definition; I always got sound with HD sources. I hooked both RCA cables and an optical cable to my receiver and would always get sound through those. Tried two different HDMI cables, same result so it wasn't the cable. I contacted Tivo Tech support... and after about 6 weeks of them researching and having me try different things, they exchanged the box. Funny thing was the day after the new box shipped (but before it arrived) I could no longer duplicate the problem on the original box. It worked perfect for the 5 days before the replacement box arrived. I hooked up the new box and it worked fine. I did send the original box back, but to this day I am now not sure it wasn't something to do with the TV (like a loose connection) rather than the Tivo.

11. hchang2k

hchang2k New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    I have my tivo premiere connected via optical to a b&k avr307. Whenever I start a program, fast forward, rewind, my sound drops. I also, see on my receiver that it switches from dolby digital to prologic. I called tivo and they said they would look into it. I followed up on it a few weeks later and they said it was a setting on my receiver not tivo. The resolve was to not use my receiver (huh?). I told them I wanted to return the tivo and they said it was past my thirty days. Even though I called on this issue a number of weeks ago. I pushed the issue to a floor manager level and informed him that i'm not the only one with this issue. I see on previous versions of tivo there are many posts on this issue. The manager said he would extend my return period to 60 days and see if the engineers could resolve the issue. If anyone is having this issue they should call tivo and make them aware that this is not an isolated issue.

I've been a tivo user for 7 years and sad to think of breaking away from it but with my current customer service experience I think I may be done with tivo.

12. wang1st

wang1st New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I've looked for a resolution on the site but have yet to see one) ...

btw HDMI hookup Only loss on playback / sometimes returns after pausing and restarting, or if I change to another of my shows.

And I'm playing on a projection TV and cannot flip it on and off to see if that fixes problem. (didn't have before the new drive anyway)

13. seant169

seant169 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Sometimes when i start a recording ..like dignation from Revision 3 my sound is chopy at the begining. This is a show that has already been downloaded. I also have the same issue when i start tekzilla daily

tivo premiere to samsung led tv 40 via Monster HDMI
    then from tv to Yamaha recviever via toslink or optical cable.

14. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I have the tivo premier (3rd tivo ived owned) and yes I get that trouble sometimes also. I never had it before. It happened last night on TNT when i was watching Law and Order live and once when i was watch 2 different shows on the history channel. it sounds (a looks like) its being recorded in a very low quality. It sounds like it is removing the bass and the show is a little too bright. Im recording in SD if that helps. good luck