Premiere HD in a Series2?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by revansCAAD8, Aug 3, 2011.

1. revansCAAD8

revansCAAD8 New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi gang, I purchase a 320GB Western Digital WD3200AVVS (AV-GP) hard drive taken from a new (never used) TIVO Premiere. I hope this will work as my plan is to upgrade/replace the original HD in my old series2 RCA DVR40. Yes, I know the new drive is SATA, so I already purchased the SATA to PATA adapter from Weaknees.

I plan to use WinMFS or wfslive boot CD to backup, image, and copy/recover the drive(via my PC). Any know issues with doing this? Will I need to format/clear the new drive before hand or will WFS take care of it? If I need to clear/format, how? Anything else I should know?

Thank you any help!
    Robert
    RCA DVR40 (oldie but goodie!)

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    WinMFS will do everything needed.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Your post has me confused. Are you trying to run the Permier software in a Series 2 box or just use the larger Premier Hard Drive with the Series 2 software on it?

4. revansCAAD8

revansCAAD8 New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Thank you Stevel! Yeah I re-read the WinMFS docs today and sounded like it would handle it (praying it will).

Bradleys: Sorry if I confused you. I will just be using the physical drive from a new (un-used) TIVO Premiere, replacing my original HD in my Series2 RCA DVR40 and using WinMFS to copy/clone the software/settings/recordings from the old drive to the new. So no, the premiere software will be gone. Hope this helps.

Anyone know if the 320GB Western Digital WD3200AVVS will have the Intellepark issue? Downloaded wdidle3 fix just in case.

Oh and thought it might be a good idea to run a full scan on the drive before hand. Downloaded the WD Data Lifeguard Diag software. Drive should be here today!

Thanks again,
    Robert

5. revansCAAD8

revansCAAD8 New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Update if anyone is interested: Everything went great! Tested new drive, backed up old drive and copied to the new drive via WinMFS, booted up and working great! 280+ SD hours, gotta love it :)