Premiere Hard Drive into Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Karen Jab, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021

Advertisements

I have a 4 Tuner OTA Roamio. It appears the hard drive has failed. Before ordering a replacement, can I try to use the hard drive from my Premiere that is just sitting unused?

By inserting it into my Roamio, will it make it unusable in the Premiere if it fails in the Roamio? Thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would need to wipe the drive of everything before it would work in the Roamio.

3. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    OK thanks. I thought I had read that the Roamio is capable of formatting a drive itself... so I thought this might save me some money. But this stuff is not my strong suit and I clearly didn’t understand. So thanks for the help!
    Looks like I’ll be buying a WD drive

4. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    If you drop the drive into the Roamio it will format the drive. Very simple

If you need to move it back to the Premiere, you need to get an image for the Premiere and load it onto the hard drive before inserting it back.

Karen Jab likes this.
  5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Wiping it would also make it self-format it. Leaving it as is, might leave rements or cause issues further along.

tommage1 and Karen Jab like this.
  6. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Thank you.

Now - talk to me like I’m a kid here because this is so far out of my knowledge base- how would I obtain this image of I need to put it back?

7. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Let me ask this.....is the premiere still activated?

reason I ask is unless you have lifetime service on it you can’t reactive it so you wouldn’t have to worry about getting the drive back in the premiere

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    krkaufman likes this.
  8. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    I **think** I remember how to do it. Its been such a long time since I did that with a Premiere....so hopefully someone can correct me

-In the Premiere thread you ask for an image of the specific model Premiere you have (its on the back of the unit)
    TiVo Premiere DVRs

-you use DVR Bars to map the drive. This thread has all the info on how to do it
    Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows (DvrBARS)

kpeters59 and Karen Jab like this.
  9. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes. Whenever putting a drive in a Roamio, Bolt or Edge really good idea to totally blank it first. Best probably full (not quick) format or write zeroes. Otherwise possible remnants as you say, can cause problems with the flash drive. CMR drives, wipe/format/zero first and don't swap around once formatted etc, put in device you want to use it in and leave it there.

As for OP, if they ever want to use the Premiere again I'd keep it's drive intact (almost certainly if it has lifetime service.) Just buy one for the Roamio, if OTA it's probably only 500GB or 1TB. Used maybe $20, new not that much more. Just make sure CMR, MOST 500GB-1TB 3.5 are CMR but might be some that are not.

Oh yeah, if Premiere does not have lifetime or is not CURRENTLY active it is parts only at this point, cannot be activated again. Though could still watch any recordings on it.

10. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    It is not active at the moment. And no lifetime Service.
    I was just thinking the only reason I’d want to put it back in is to maybe use it in the interim if this doesn’t work on my roamio or if I cannot get a WD drive to work in it. On leave right now due to COVID and trying to not use a lot of cash now.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This is what others are referring to:

If your Premiere lacks Lifetime service and is not currently active, you won't be able to get it activated and it would be pretty much a "for parts" box. There won't be any using it, interim or otherwise, beyond being able to watch what is already recorded and currently stored on its drive (moot once the drive has been tried in the Roamio).

Karen Jab and unclehonkey like this.
  12. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    ah ha! Thanks.

well that seems to make the decision easy- try it the free way and rip the hard drive out.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    thank you!

can you or anyone here point me to a “wiping a TiVo hard drive for dummies” tutorial?

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may be better using a newer drive, as if the drive from the Premiere is original, would be older than Roamio.
    Recommended drives is WD Red Plus, 3TB and under (for v20.7) and v21 can handle larger drives.

15. Karen Jab

Karen Jab New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    thank you! That’s the backup plan! (Or even look to another OTA 4 tuner device). I’m on leave from work due to COVID and trying to find the cheapest option at the moment. Fingers crossed this will tide me over.

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I should have added, without any computer needed to use the full drive space. Otherwise, would have to connect to computer to expand and use the extra space.

The smallest drive is 1TB for about $65 (WD10EFRX) from amazon.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @ggieseke or @jmbach are authorities on TiVo drives, and I believe one has suggested that simply erasing the boot block (or some such thing) is sufficient to automatically trigger a Roamio to fully rewrite the drive.

See: HOWTO: "Zero Write a Disk/Drive to Prepare/Repair it for Use in a TiVo Bolt or Other Device"

Also: