Premiere for $99, worth it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by herzzreh, May 10, 2011.

1. herzzreh

herzzreh New Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I have a perfectly working Tivo HD. Noticed the other day that you can get a refurb Premiere for $99... Is it worth it? Refurb isn't a show stopper. My HD was a refurb, so is half of my electronics... still all going straight.

2. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 New Member

May 6, 2011
    Maybe, but a number of people are receiving refurbs that don't work. I'd wait until they sort it out.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    And there are plenty of TCF folks that got refurb Premiere's and Premiere XLs from woot.com and are thrilled to death.

The big benefit of the refurbs is you can put the lower cost plans on them, you're not locked into the $19.95 per month commitment rate.

4. FierceDeityLink1

May 6, 2011
    It appears to be a systemic problem to recently purchased TiVo Premiere refurbs. Sure, if you want to go through the effort of getting a bad box, waiting for them to fix it, and possibly have to send it back (all while paying a subscription), then go for it. I'm just saying that it would probably be better to wait.

But I agree about the lower cost. Also that the warranty is the same (90 days labor/1 year parts).

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    How did you determine that?

Not saying someone will not get a bad refurbed box but I have no data that shows refurbed Premieres have a higher failure rate than new ones and I am guessing no one outside of TiVo does either.

Thanks,

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I'm not getting it either. If new units didn't fail, there would be nothing to refurbish.

7. FierceDeityLink1

May 6, 2011
    Depends on when you purchased it. More recently means higher likelihood. Unless you're saying that you bought one one within the last few weeks and is fine.

8. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Not necessarily. Refurbs are any units that cannot be sold as brand new.

A box that was purchased, and then returned because the original purchaser didn't want it can only be resold as a refurb. There may be nothing wrong with it, but they can't sell it as new.

Jeff

9. HoustonMidtown

HoustonMidtown New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Houston
    I got 2 refurbs that didnt work -- I finally bought a new one and it's been fine...

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Two refurb'd Premieres running in this house without any problems what so ever.

11. dsb411

dsb411 Member

Sep 29, 2004
    North...
    Can a lifetime be bought for a refurb?

12. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't know if this applies to the ones purchased from TiVo, but I was able to get lifetime on the one I purchased from Woot! as a new customer.

13. dsb411

dsb411 Member

Sep 29, 2004
    North...
    Yeah i was considering the $99 refurb from Tivo. hmmmm

14. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Just because it's a refurb doesn't mean there was anything wrong with it - someone may have bought a box and returned it for other reasons. If it's open box, it is sold as refurb even if the Tivo was never taken out of the box.

15. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    I received two $99 refurb'd Premiere's on Monday to replace my two almost 3 year old refurb'd TiVo HD's.

See my thread..
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8526650#post8526650

It's not just the UI to consider. The Premiere boxes are Energy Star rated. I don't know how much you pay for electricity, but in my case I am getting an "idle" 43% energy savings.