Premiere Fan Voltage

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TRY, Sep 21, 2017.

1. TRY

TRY New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My Premiere TCD746320 died, mostly likely from overheating. It experienced multiple kinds of reboots and startup hangups over several weeks then ultimately fell into a consistent failure mode indicative of a bad hard drive. When I picked it up, all the feet crumbled and the case was hot. Possibly, the airflow through the bottom was impeded, since it sat on a cardboard box that collapsed a little over time. I corrected that with a stiffer support and new taller feet. And I replaced the hard drive.

When I got it all going again, I noticed that the fan was not turning, something I had not previously checked. Finger spinning the fan did not help. When I measured the voltage on the board on the fan pins, it was about 5.2V, not 12V. When I plugged the fan back in, it spun. So I put it all back together, buttoned it up, and am now recording shows. After 2 hours, the MTB is 36.

Has anyone else actually measured the fan voltage on their board?

Should the fan always be on or does it have a controller with multiple modes such as off/low speed/high speed? If there is no fan control, I suppose I will splice a new fan (since mine probably has an intermittent bearing issue) into one of the 12V wires.

Does anyone wish to comment or advise?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. archbishop

archbishop New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I measured the fan voltage on my TCD748000 a few weeks ago at 12v, right after startup. When my box starts up, the fan is loud, and then gets quieter during the boot process, so there is some kind of fan control going on.