Premiere ends up with blank screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TishTash, Aug 31, 2011.

1. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    I have a Premiere with internal and external 2TB drives. Everything was working fine until some channels were showing up as "To Be Announced" in the iPad app's Guide. Per TiVo support's instructions, I repeated Guided Setup -- to restart the channel list I suppose.

Bad move: After working for a day, the Premiere just stopped. Restarting results in the first two screens -- "Welcome" then "Just a few minutes more" -- the latter for about 30 seconds before the display goes out. Strangely, I couldn't run any of the kickstarts: Pressing pause at the amber light and pressing 54, 57, or 58 results in the flashing green/amber dance, but no blue light (which I think doesn't happen anymore anyway) ... then the second "just a few minutes" screen then blank screen again. Disconnecting the external drive does invoke the "please reconnect the external device" warning, oddly enough.

Any ideas from this point on?

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    You may want to try the underground forum with this, as a 4TB TiVo clearly isn't stock (or even a "typical" upgrade.

From what I've read, there were/are a number of unique issues when there is more than 2TB total storage installed.

3. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Once you get to the black screen, if you press the TiVo button, do you hear a TiVo sound effect?

4. pig_man

pig_man Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Have you tried letting the TiVo run for an extended period of time? I had a similar thing happen to my Premiere. I let it run and 5 hours later it rebooted and started working again.

5. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Thanks for all the input.

I figured it out: I switched external drives. -->idiot<-- I unplugged stuff during the hurricane, and obviously didn't pay attention to what belonged where. Part of the reason I thought everything was ok is both TiVo's booted up without a hiccup. It was only when I tried playing some stuff on the other TiVo and getting "this program has no video signal" that a light bulb flickered on in my brain.

(I was always under the assumption that TiVo's with wrong external drives would scream alarms and warnings--or at least fail to boot. Tech support as well said so unequivocally. If only I had tried testing some recorded programs, or better labeled my eSATA cables....)

The other TiVo is fine after switching it back; apparently its external drive wasn't touched by the "blank screen" TiVo during the switch. Time will tell if this is actually true.

The correct external drive for the "blank screen" TiVo is probably ok too, since the other TiVo just sat there, unmodified and not recording anything. (It had no cable input either.) However, I believe either the Guided Setup redo or any recordings (live and/or scheduled) obviously did in at least its internal drive: It blank-screens with its now-correct external plugged in, too.

I'm not betting my life that the recordings are salvageable, but I could always hope. I could also win a million dollars in the lottery, and marry a supermodel, but I'm not holding my breath there either.

I'll try the keeping it running for a long while; your example gives me the slightest shimmer of hope. Thanks.

6. Sep 6, 2011 #6 of 10
    TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Pig_man, I owe you one.

Amazing but true: For the lack of anything better to do, I left the blanking-out unit plugged in (and connected to the correct external drive) over the Labor Day weekend. When I returned this evening ... the unit was chugging along, as if nothing happened.

After all the hoopla died down, three things come to mind:

A) Contrary to what one would think, TiVo's do boot up with the wrong external drive. Not a good thing.

B) For some reason, however, TiVo's may know something's wrong and, instead of plowing through and wreaking hard drive havoc on an incorrect external drive, somehow "shut down" (hence the blank screen) while at the same time trying desperately to reconnect to its original external drive once the correct one is actually connected. Say what you will, but that's pretty robust (or extremely lucky).

C) It's vitally important to label one's eSATA cables exceedingly accurately.

7. Sep 6, 2011 #7 of 10
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Why would you want to marry a supermodel?

8. Sep 7, 2011 #8 of 10
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

9. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    It was a rhetorical scenario based on depression. I'm much better now.

10. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    You didn't read the entire post: The unit never got to the point where a kickstart could kick in. But thanks for playing.