Premiere Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Dr_Diablo, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Worth the $499.99 asking price?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    IMHO, if it had lifetime included. $900 is too much I think.. (even though I have a dead S3 and dying TivoHD.. This would be GREAT to replace it)

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If it were $399, absolutely. At $499, I will probably get one just because of the ability to manage more than two conflicts. I wish TiVo would introduce cooperative scheduling if you have more than one TiVo box, but this may be as good as it gets.

The biggest downside for me is that I would have to keep Comcast to see any value, so I have to decide if cutting the cord any relying primarily on OTA is a viable option.

I May also wait to see if there is going to be a retail version of the Preview, as that would make the Elite even more attractive (so I don't have to have a Premiere in every room)

(if TiVo had priced this any higher, my answer to your question would have been "absolutely not".)

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    More than worth it. Last year when the Premiere XL was launched it was the same price. Now you have four tuners and a 2TB drive. Although lifetime is $100 more now.

I was not going to pay more than $1000 including lifetime. But with the price they are releasing it at, it will only cost me $900 including the Lifetime at $400 with a Multi-Service Discount.

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think a retail version of the Preview is now a certainty. I think they will wait to announce it until they have streaming working flawlessly. We may see a 90-day waiver request on the Preview when they are more sure of the timing.

I'm upgrading my Series 3 to the Elite as soon as its available. I'm waiting on the Preview or alternate streaming offering (e.g., Insignia TV, etc.) before upgrading my bedroom TiVo HD. I will be able to sell the Series 3 with lifetime to recoup some of the investment in the Elite.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    $500 isn't too bad, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop after the early adopters got in on it. If we're lucky there will be an upgrade offer.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think it would drop if they increase the storage of the Premiere to 500gb and then drop the price of the XL by $100.

This of course doesn't mean that we won't see Amazon selling it sometimes for $450 or less assuming they get it.

8. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Yeah, it's sad that whe a new product comes to the consumer we gotta pay out the u-no-what...

I had a hard time payin the $599 for the PS3 when it launched... An games? $60 a pop? I dunno how the younger gamers afford it, unless their parents have deep pockets...

What with the shoddy service that Tivo is providing it's cunsumer base you'd think they would take this into consideration for the next gen Tivo

Too bad our bill isn't prorated for the days it works like it posed to? duh?

I was ready to CTC an go with ATT but my area hasn't been wired for FIOS an there are no plans to do so for at least 4 more yrs... Yet my neighbor three blocks over has had it for 18 months now... Go figure

I hope the Elite operates better the what we have now, an expensive paper weight

makes sense to pay more an get less, no?