premiere ELITE says digital only.. will it work with optimum/cablevision?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by theGman911, Jan 30, 2012.

1. theGman911

theGman911 New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I currently have FIOS and have a premiere elite. It works perfectly. I may be moving soon and here on Long Island FIOS is not available everywhere. Where it is not available I'm sure I would end up with Optimum/Cablevision.

My question is:

Will a premiere ELITE work on Optimum/Cablevision's system? Are they digital only? By work, I mean able to use the 4 tuners as I can now, along with work in general.

Thanks in advance.

2. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    Call the Optimum/Cablevision office that serves where you will be moving.
    I'd heavily expect that most cable franchises have switched over to mostly digital now.
    The Premiere should work if they do digital and provide (multistream) cable cards.
    (Perhaps SDV adapter too, if they use switched digital video to conserve bandwidth.)

Optimum/Cablevision will likely have to pair the cable card to your Premiere... something your local FiOS franchise probably didn't have to do.
    Pairing has caused issues with getting everything setup right if the techs aren't trained properly.
    If you have tremendous problems with your new cable franchise, you may be able to get TiVo to do a 3 way call with them to help their techs/management get things correct on their end.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Just because they have analog channels doesn't mean it will not work. Many cable systems simulcast the analogs (2-99) in digital on different channel numbers. So, yes, you can't receive the analogs, but if they are all in digital on another tier or are in HD, then it doesn't matter.

4. Saberj

Saberj New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    If they didn't put some of their channels on digital, they would have a really crappy lineup of programming. From Wikipedia:

"Digital cable technology can allow many TV channels to occupy the frequency space that would normally be occupied by a single analog cable TV channel. The number of channels placed on a single analog frequency depends on the compression used. Many cable providers are able to fit about 10 digital SD channels or 2 digital HD channels on a single analog channel frequency. Some providers are able to squeeze more channels onto a single frequency with higher compression, but often this can cause the video quality of the channel to degrade."

5. theGman911

theGman911 New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    OK thanks alot!

Hopefully someone here actually HAS one with Cablevision and can confirm for sure. Thx again though.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
  7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There are still quite a few areas where cable companies don't simulcast the all of analogs in digital. However, most of those should also be in HD anyways so it probably wouldn't matter that much.

8. Dennis.Mitchell

Dennis.Mitchell New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Hi. I live on Long Island. Cablevision is all digital. You will be fine with your Tivo Elite.

9. Feb 1, 2012 #9 of 13
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I live in one of those areas. There are only a few channels I watch that are analog only, but it's enough that if I did get an Elite I'd have to defer to a second TiVo to record those handful of programs.

Dan

11. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    some even map the digital to the analog number

12. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Comcast simulcasts in digital the handful of analog channels it still has, and maps them to the analog channel numbers in the set-top box or cable card. So when you tune to cable channel 2 on your TiVo, you are getting the digital version.

13. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Optimum/Cablevision customer here. Fired up the Premiere Elite a few nights ago. About 90 minutes for guided setup (I recommend inserting cablecard, but waiting until after software update to pair card w/Cablevision) and software update. Then a five minute call to Cablevision to pair - all worked flawlessly.

When you call Cablevision, ask for the HD or Cablecard group.