Premiere Elite Problem With Service (N33)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Walter Lambert, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Walter Lambert

Walter Lambert Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Oklahoma City
    Posted explanation on Tivo screen: "This is a temporary problem with Tivo Service. Some options will not be available until the issue is fixed. Please try again in a few minutes"

This posting on the Tivo screen appears more often than not, and remains on the screen for hours. Effectively, this prevents Tivo from connecting on updating downloads, as well as eliminating Netflex, Hulu, Pandora etc.

Is this standard on all Premiere Elites? What is the real explanation for the loss of Tivo service? Yes, I have attempted all of the fixes, and a reset will temporarily solve the issue, but the above posting soon returns.

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I've never heard of that before, and I have no idea what's causing it. But if your TiVo is behind a router, make sure the router is running the latest firmware.

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The only time I have seen this is when I rebooted my router and the elite temporarily lost internet.

4. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    I saw N33 briefly after first installing my Elite a week ago. It had been years since I'd seen N33 and had a bit of panic wondering what was wrong with my new toy.

But I haven't seen it since.

5. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Just had the "problem with service N33" message on Tivo Central for the first time (1+ years) on a Premiere XL. System updated to 14.9.2.2-01-2-748 on Dec. 16.

6. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I've noticed it a few times when my internet connection is being heavily used by other devices (i.e., I'm uploading a video to youtube at the same time).

I think the problem is related to the quality of the internet connection to the TiVo host server.

For me, the error message might pop up for a few seconds on the discovery bar and than disappear after the internet connection is established. I think it may be related to a time-out parameter in the TiVo software.

7. JandS

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Thx, sbiller. More N33 messages, and confirmed that the Comcast internet signal was erratic at the same time (not from any overload on our usage).

Perhaps the 14.9.2.2 update changed the error message given, as previously we saw a "cannot connect" message when the Comcast internet signal went down, had never seen N33.

8. Smeep

Smeep New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm getting this a couple of times a day now. Never happened prior to the past few weeks. No other problems with any other devices on the network. If I unplug the adapter and then force a connection it usually comes back, but obviously that's not a solution.

9. JandS

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Smeep, are you on Comcast by any chance?

10. Walter Lambert

Walter Lambert Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Oklahoma City
    I made the initial post on this thread several weeks ago. My solution was simply to move the tivo n adapter to a new position away from other electronic devices and closer to the router. Since, I have had no problems with N33 messages.

11. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    My brand new Elite was doing this last night.. It was freakin' annoying. It wasn't just displaying the error in place of the banner, but was "resetting" the menu back to the home position every few seconds.

It took me about 20 tries, but I finally got the menu set back to SD, and the problem wasn't apparent there...

So I guess this issue is only visible when you're using HDUI?

12. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yes. The only place I have ever seen the N33 message is on the discovery bar of the HDUI. I'm 99% sure its a local network issue when it happens. My boxes are wired over gigabit e-net but occasionally I max out the upstream bandwidth. I'm paying for the lowest tier from my cable operator. Only 1 mbps of upstream bandwidth.

13. JandS

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    We HDUI exclusively, do not record suggestions, use a wired Cat-6 connex to our internal router, have Comcast with speeds approx 45 down/12 up, fixed IP (not dynamic). Business-grade gigabit network, never any bandwidth issues, has been stable for several years.

We have had problems with our Comcast internet service over the past month, frequent less-than-1 to 2 min. connection dropouts often 6-8 in a single hour. several tickets into Comcast, almost fixed now with only occasional blips.

Prior to 14.9.2.2 the Tivo Central error msg was "could not connect to service". After the update the only msg. we've seen is the "N33" message.

More significantly, it seems as if the Tivo does not "recover" after the N33 message nearly as quickly as prior to 14.9.2.2. Often I'm surfing on a laptop when the Comcast disconnect happens, so I click on Tivo button immediately. As an example, the laptop might connect again in 1 min. while the Tivo might continue with the error msg for 5-6 minutes or more. Forcing a connex through the Help Menu > internet connection doesn't bring it back up, while the laptop is quickly back again.

14. rlsny

rlsny New Member

Jun 19, 2010
    I have two premier boxes and this error has started appearing within the last couple weeks on both and frequently. We have a high end router and Cablevision boost with plenty of bandwidth. I don't believe this is a local network issue. It is annoying and has only been happening recently. Has there been a recent software update? Is Tivo having problems with their servers. This is making the whole Tivo service unusable.

15. Smeep

Smeep New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Actually I just have DSL Extreme, but it's been the exact same configuration for months, and I've never gotten the (N33) message before a couple of weeks ago, but just today it's literally been about ten times. Every time I have to unplug the N adapter, then force a connection. That's the only thing that clears it. It makes TiVo unusable, as rlsny said.

edit: oh, wait, unless you meant my actual cable company, in which case still not Comcast, it's Time Warner.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Sounds like another variation on the "TiVo servers don't work as well toward the end of the year" problem that's been going on for the past few years.

I suspect a financial cause.

17. JandS

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Thx. Just wondered if there were any similarities that might indicate possible "problem" ISP services.

18. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    I had this problem 2 times last week

19. jswhite822

jswhite822 New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    SDUI doesn't require an internet connection, that's why you don't get the error there.

I have noticed the same problem over the past week or so. It hasn't gone away on it's own at all. I even rebooted the Tivo to see if that would help; as others have stated it didn't. So today I unplugged my Access Point and then plugged it back up after 15 seconds and the N33 is gone and I'm now able to Connect to Tivo for program update data.

20. Smeep

Smeep New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    It's happening to me whenever I turn on my TiVo now. It's like it starts to connect and pull the data for the Discovery Bar and then immediately decides it can't connect. But I can see that it successfully connects at other times when I'm not using the TiVo. So, that's super helpful.