Premiere Elite OTA LACK

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JACKASTOR, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1 of 23
    JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    I was just going over the specs for the Elite. Love the idea of a 4 tuners as sometimes I want to watch a show but cant record because the show conflicts. But I am very disheartened by the lack of OTA support. Especially as OTA is in some cases better quality hi def then what some of the Cable companies put out. The main selling feature for my Premier was the ability to record OTA this was very important as this is a good way to save hundreds of dollars a year on cable fees. Any one else disapointed?

Jack

2. Sep 9, 2011 #2 of 23
    HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    If they ger rid of OTA they should come up with a solution to use cable/fios/uverse/directtv/dish on one device.

The expense for the device and lifetime service when having to move to new areas with different providers is not feasible. also the competition between providers encourages switching service to get greatest deal.

3. Sep 9, 2011 #3 of 23
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Given that I wouldn't buy one anyway, no.

I think there's a valid reason for their decision. As I understand the chipset involved can do up to 4 tuners, but the selection between Cable and OTA needs to be done up front in hardware. Thus you can have a Premiere with 2+2 or a Premiere Elite with 4+0. (I read this somewhere here in the forums, so consider my information to be hearsay at best)

So, are you really getting a supercharged Premiere, or just a differently configured Premiere for a lot more money?

4. Sep 9, 2011 #4 of 23
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The elite is a cable box solution being marketed to cable companies. They just happen to be bringing it to retail too. The current premiere isn't going away and they are already marketing it more to OTA users. There's no affordable 4 QAM/4 OTA tuner solutions out there so it wasn't really an option for the elite anyways. There's nothing different in the Elite other than the tuner and the hard drive size so the current premiere platform isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #5 of 23
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's not as elegant as one box, but a second box at $100 with the $10/mo OTA offer isn't a bad alternative either.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #6 of 23
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Even though OTA looks better than the compressed crap that the Cable Companies are peddling and it's 100% free, I would still take 4 QAM/0 OTA to any other combination any day. Why? Cable has everything OTA offers anyway, and while it's usually visibly and noticeably lower quality, it's also a much smaller bit rate which lets me record even more crap on my 2TB drive. OTA is at most, 5-6 real channels of quality programming, the rest if static weather channels and other crap I don't want.

The only negative to not having OTA is no longer having the option of falling back to OTA only, but that never seems to last more than a few months for me anyway.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #7 of 23
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I haven't seen cable or sat as having much more than 6-7 quality channels. ;) You just pay $60-70+ a month for the 'quality offered. IMHO. Though having 4 tuners that handle conflict resolution among them is rather attractive, for me it just isn't good enough to switch back to cable and feed the beast once again.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #8 of 23
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I think the trend is going to be the opposite of the direction Tivo is moving. More people are going to be cutting the cord, going OTA and using value added services like Netflix or Amazon to pick the a la carte programming they want.

rainwater is right, the Elite is the direct marketing of a product really designed for the cablecos. There's nothing wrong with this if it fits a person's needs, but it's unrealistic to expect that it's designed with the end-user as the intended customer.

9. Sep 9, 2011 #9 of 23
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think it makes perfect sense. Someone who is OTA only probably isn't going to need four tuners. People who need four tuners need them because they have hundreds of channels.

This is not a "new" product. It's a Premiere with a couple of extra tuners. If you are OTA only, just buy a Premiere.

10. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The cable companies tend to present a given new show several times during the week. Miss a new episode of Tru Blood? That's cool, you have another half a dozen chances to catch that episode on Tuesday, Thursday, on HBO 2, HBO Signature, etc.

The broadcast networks historically programmed for the entire viewing week and show an episode once in the fall and then one more time in the spring or summer re-run season.

Very often, the broadcast networks get stupid and all compete with their best programming on Thursday night. That means there might be three shows worth watching at 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, but over the air viewers have only two tuners available to record.

I find the tivolicious idea of automatically managing and de-conflicting four tuners quite appealing. Unfortunately, the TiVo Elite does nothing to benefit OTA viewers.:thumbsdown:

11. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Instead of having this 4 tuner TiVo. I think that I would prefer for my 2 premieres to be able to use cooperative scheduling, streaming from TiVo to TiVo, and an integrated now playing list. I wonder how far away these features will be.

12. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    As far as I know, TiVo will still offer the Premiere with dual OTA tuners and this product is for a different market so no I am not disappointed the Elite is cable only. I do think TiVo with dual OTA tuners is a great product but I have no need for four OTA tuners in a single box.

13. tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I've been OTA for a couple of years now. I'd love two more tuners as I've needed them on many occasions. Netflix and Hulu+ have been handy for watching cable shows without paying crazy cable prices. A four tuner OTA only TiVo would be nice. Not gonna happen for sure, but it would be nice.

14. darock159

darock159 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I second this :up: I have been contemplating going OTA for awhile now and this would make it much easier to manage all our TV show conflicts as my wife and I go through the fall tv guide schedule to see what shows we need to record on certain tivos

15. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Hopefully the Series 5 Tivo (If we ever see one) will have 4 OTA tuners AND 4 cable tuners (And be able to record from all 8 at once). I intend to go OTA only next year (Supplemented with Hulu+) and would LOVE to be able to record 4 different programs at once on just 1 box!!

16. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    With two TiVoHDs subscribed I have 4 tuners but have never needed more than 2. I like having TiVos on at least 2 displays in any event so I won't ever be only a single TiVo subscriber.

17. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    My guess is series 5 would be an allvid box assuming that actually happens in the next two years. We might see a revision of the premiere before that though.

18. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    +1

I am totally with you on this!

19. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Improved communication with instant streaming between TiVos would be nice but I am never in a hurry to have something move to one TiVo from the other and the transfer works well enough that I can live without something better. TiVo Desktop works well enough to get programs off a TiVo to a PC that I won't even complain about that software and process.

If I was a cable subscriber, this Elite with 2TB and 4 tuners would be something I would be very interested in but I have put cable behind, forever I hope, simply because of cost.

20. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I suspect that we will never see those features now that a 4 tuner box will be available.