Premiere Elite menu scrolling slow and also locks up

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by CynPiz, Jul 26, 2012.

1. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009

Advertisements

Hello - Just wondering if anyone has some advice for me. I've had my new premiere elite for about 3 months - about 1 month ago it started locking up while scrolling thru menus including my shows list. Also is sluggish/locking up on various menus. I got a new Tivo Wireless N adapter but that hasn't helped. I have a poor signal from the router. I tried to install a new router but that didn't help either...Then I started losing the connection to the router intermittently...

Should I get a router expander? And even if I do - weak internet signal shouldn't effect the menu operations should it?
    Cynthia

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you tried to change the wireless channel on the router? There may be interference on the channel you are using that will account for the weak/intermittent signal. You may also note the channels the neighboring wireless routers are using and not use the similar channel. Other devices may interfere with the signal as well, such as microwaves, cordless phones, etc.

3. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Yes - I tried changing the channel - I tested all 11 channels...When I try to login to networks on my iphone or Kindle, mine is the only one listed so I doubt any neighbors' networks are interfering...

I should note that the room with the TiVo (our Den) is behind a large brick wall with a double fireplace in it. But we never had problems with the G router...

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Poor internet connectivity can affect the TiVo menus. Does rebooting the TiVo give temporary relief? Have you tried to give the TiVo a fixed IP address? Can you temporarily hardwire the unit to make sure it is not some other issue?

5. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009

Advertisements

Today a relocated my modem/router and was able to get a slightly stronger signal in the Tivo Room...That did improve performance and I was able to connect to Tivo service and update the system. I also did not have any problems with menu operation. But I still need better connectivity in there. Streaming still sucked bad...

Which of the following do you suggest i do:

1- Get a range extender (if so - Which one?)
    2 - Get powerline extenders and plug directly into from Tivo
    3 - move my modem/router to the Tivo and plug directly into the ethernet on the router

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Hardwire it if you can. I have started out wireless in the past, and never felt I had an issue, I have always found a wire to provide much better connectivity and speed for transfers and streaming.

Since the Elite has MOCA built it, I would do that if you could.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Elite has a built in technology called MOCA which transmit network data over your coax cable. If you have cable internet then you likely have coax near your router so all you'd need is a MOCA bridge...

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-over-Coax-Adapter/dp/B001XUQOHE

If you don't have cable internet or you don't think MOCA will work for you for some reason the powerline networking works pretty good. I have an older set of the 200Mbps adapters and I can stream reliably. FFing can be a bit jumpy and hard to land where you want, but overall I'm happy with the experience.

Dan

8. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    How do I know if I can use MoCa? I spoke to a TiVo tech yesterday and he said I was unlikely to have it. I have cable service.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Elite has MoCa built in. So all you should need to make it work is a MoCa bridge on the other end. Connect the MoCa bridge to the same coax your cable modem uses, either via splitter or the passthrough port, then connect that to one of the open ports on your router or network switch and it should just work. I'm not 100% sure if you need to change any settings in the TiVo so you might want to go through the network menus to be sure.

Dan

10. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    So I just want to be certain I understand this.

So since my TiVo has a built in MoCa connection, I should be able to take the coax and connect it directly to the adapter and then from the adapter to the MoCa connection on the Tivo WITHOUT USING A MODEM - Is that correct? That sounds way too easy to me LOL

Also - Just a dumb question - Can't I just get a second modem and use it with the TiVo if I don't feel like using the wireless network for a connection? Then I'd connect to the ethernet port right?

Which would be faster/better?

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Only 1 modem to a network and you still need one. If you indeed have cable internet, I think the adapter would be connected to the router. You would change the network settings on the XL4 to use it's built-in MoCA rather than Ethernet.

What brand and model modem do you have?

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I just had a lockup on a less than 1 month old Elite while in Upcoming Eps list for a show, and the HDUI reset seq did not work. Had to power reset it.

This is on wired Ethernet, so it has nothing to do with the network IMO. Hope it's not a regular occurrence.

13. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Ugh now I'm confused...

I have a WinStar Modem attached to a Netgear 150N router in a room far away from the TiVO. My PC is hardwired to that router. The Signal in the Den is horrible. I ordered ONE Actiontech MoCA adapter from Amazon which should be here on Tuesday. I am planning to use it so I can KEEP my modem/router in place. Are you now saying I cannot do that? Will I have to move the modem and router to the Tivo location?

Cyn

14. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    UGH - I hope it isnt...I'm going crazy...
    Cyn

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You can keep everything where it is. Dan203's most recent post had the general directions:
    You might want to switch to the SDUI menus and then power everything off first but specifically, you need to:
    1. Detach the cable from the modem
    2. Attach the cable to the splitter input
    3. Attach one output of the splitter to the modem
    4. Attach the other output of the splitter to the adapter
    5. Attach the MoCA adapter via Ethernet cable to one of the ports on the router
    6. remove the wireless adapter from the TiVo
    7. Power everything back up
    8. change the network settings on the TiVo to use MoCA. Should be under Settings & Messages > Settings > Network > Change network settings > Change MoCA settings.

Use the following settings:

MoCA Enabled: Yes
      MoCA Channel: [auto]
      Encryption Key: [none]
    9. Make sure TiVo can connect
    10. Switch back to HDUI

16. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Thank you Ipwcomp and Dan203...

OK - I think I get it...I should have everything I need by Mon or Tues - I just signed up for Amazon Prime LOL...My TiVO is so important to my life (probably way unhealhty)...

But - Please answer some follow-up questions then:

Won't the MoCA signal be just as bad as the 2.4Ghz signal? Will my TiVo still have performance problems anyway since the modem/router are so far from the unit? Since it is still not 'hardwired' - Should I move everything to the TiVo anyway?

Maybe educating me a little about MoCA would be great - I can't really find anything useful on the internet or on the TiVO site...

Cyn

17. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Moca is like hardwiring directly to your router. instead of using an Ethernet cable, it goes over the coax and is just as or if not faster

18. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Except that it ISNT hardwired right? I will NOT be physically connecting TiVo to anything right?

19. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Well your Tivo will get it's network connection to your network and the internet through the coax cable

20. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Now I know you are thinking I must be dense but here I go again: I am getting the signal wirelessly right, Ipwcomp? You don't have any step listed for me to connect anything to TiVo right?
    Compnerd makes me think I am connecting coax to my TiVo but I don't see that step on Ipwcomp's directions.
    It sounds to me that my router will be transmitting the MoCA signal to my TiVo which will receive it thru the built-in MoCA adapter(receiver) right?

And also I can still connect my modem directly to the router to also transmit the 2.4ghz signal to the rest of my equip at the same time right?