Premiere Elite intro video

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BiloxiGeek, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount

Advertisements

Am I missing something or is the intro video on the Premiere Elite's really disappointing compared to previous intro videos?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's the same as the premiere XL which is also the same as the S3.

All the THX certified TiVos have the same intro.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It's not the same video as on the Series 3.

4. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    My Premiere Elite has a short animation of just the TiVo guy, lasts maybe 15 seconds.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

What did the S3(OLED screen) THX video look like?

I remember the THX logo and the TiVo guy coming out and bowing or something. I thought they were the same.

EDIT: Here is the S3 opening animation. The THX logo and then the TiVo guy bows.
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59bsJEh7rA&feature=relmfu[/media]

I thought my Elite did the same thing when I rebooted it this evening trying to get hulu+ to work. I saw the THX logo but didn't watch the rest. I thought it sounded the same.

EDIT: I just double checked and they are all identical. Pressing the TiVo button and zero brings up the opening animation. My Premiere XL and Premiere Elite animation were both identical to the S3 video on youtube posted by Dave Zatz..

6. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Odd... I seem to have a different one...:D

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I've had an S3, a PXL, and now an Elite. they are all the same THX / TiVo bow video.

8. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I guess the Premiere is not THX certified as there is no THX demo.

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    All three units are "Premiere". That aside, the Premiere XL, and the Premiere Elite are both THX certified and the Premiere non-XL is not. Regardless, the audio hardware and software inside them are identical. There is no real advantage to having a Premiere unit that is THX certified vs. one that is not; it is just marketing.

10. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I don't believe the Premiere non-XL is THX certified.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Sorry, that was a typo that I have corrected now. Thanks

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I thought the OP was talking about the regular start up video, and not the additional THX video that comes with THX certified boxes.

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I think the opening vid for THX TiVo's is the best of all because they are short and to the point and I like the little TiVo bowing to applause. Much better than those goofy long ones on the other boxes.

I think the THX certification may have to do with the A/D converter MPEG encoder and what ever else THX says meets its standards. While it is marketing, it is NOT JUST marketing; it is real. However, the most of slight parts or process can result in reaching the THX standards. But, I'm with you in that it doesn't necessarily result in an improvement that the consumer can discern.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I could be wrong, but I believe there is only ONE startup video on the Premiere. On the XL, they replaced the one used on the non-XL with a THX one. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Indeed it is real that the Premiere does meet the THX standards. But I am about 99.9% sure there is no difference at all between the XL and the non-XL hardware and software when it comes to audio playback. TiVo just pays for the license fee to label/brand and advertise it on the XL and Elite and not on the non-XL.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just checked my two, non upgraded, 320GB Premieres. They still have that opening where the TiVo guy is walking around in different scenes- cartoon, monster movie, etc.

The THX one would only be for THX certified TiVos. TiVo pays extra money to get THX certification which they don't pay for the 320GB models.

17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Personally, I wish Tivo would remove all those start up videos because they add time to the already long start up as it is.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Hit the TiVo button and you bypass it. The THX one is short anyway.

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Right.
    We just don't know that for sure because TiVo didn't submit it for certification.

20. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The start up videos are there to distract you while other setup work is being completed. These days it's primarily with CableCARD stuff. ;)