Premiere Elite - Extended Warranty?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jbell73, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 18
    jbell73

jbell73 Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I just upgraded to the Elite, and I'm debating if I should purchase an extended warranty. I have two options:

Option #1 - BestBuy "Black Tie" program - 4 Years @ $75
    Option #2 - TiVo Extended Warranty - 3 Years @ $40

From a strict price comparison obviously 3 years for $40 is better than 4 years for $75, but from a customer service standpoint how easy is the TiVo warranty to use? Will they just ship a refurbished box? I think with BestBuy I can walk in and out that same day with a brand new unit.

In previous iterations I would purchase a replacement HDD as my "warranty" but with the Elite, there is no upgrade path (right now) and I cannot get the WD20EURS for less than $75. So I could go with one of the plans, and get a replacement (backup) drive in a few years when they have dropped in cost.

Anyone with any experience with either of these? Any recommendations? Squaretrade didn't see to have a cost effective option.

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 18
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I went with the Best Buy $75 warranty. I'm usually opposed to a warranty but some of the discussions on this board made me take the gamble that three years from now I might have a failure that results in a new box. Also somewhat of an insurance policy since I also bought lifetime on the Elite and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future so my $900 investment is protected for less than 10% of the purchase price.

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 18
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I also opted for the Best Buy Warranty. I just replaced a TiVo Premiere XL under the TiVo extended warranty. It was a pretty painless process. One disadvantage was TiVo offered no upgrade option to replace my XL with an Elite for an extra charge. This is something I have had luck doing in the past at Best Buy. Also like sbiller mentions if they no longer carry the Elite, they will most likely replace it with a newer TiVo model.

With the TiVo extended warranty, they offer advanced replacement so they sent me a refurb XL and UPS label. I then shipped back the old XL a couple days after I got the refurb.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 18
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I also opted for the BestBuy warranty for my Elite over the TiVo warranty. With the TiVo warranty when you use it, that is it, it's gone. With the Best BUy warranty if it is just repaired the warranty is still in force. Only if it's replaced is it gone.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 18
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Ditto. Best Buy 4 year for me on the Elite. Nothing on the regular Premieres.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #6 of 18
    jenz

jenz New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    IIRC TiVo warranty runs the same way, max liability is 1 replacement but doesn't just go away with a minor issue.

7. Nov 8, 2011 #7 of 18
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    ?? There is no such thing as a "minor issues" if your TiVo needs to be repaired it is replaced and your TiVo extended warranty is used up with one use.

If you are talking about the actual 1 yr. warranty for 90 days you get as many replacements as necessary at no cost. For days 91-365 you have to pay $49 for each replacement, and during days 91-365 if a replacement unit is defective there is some unspecified time where they will replace it for no cost.

8. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Hi there guys, I just wanted to resurrect this. I opted for Best Buy coverage on the TiVo Elite I just bought tonight, as $75 seemed like not a bad price to get four years of coverage on a $500 box.

I have a question about lifetime service though. TiVo has told me in the past that Lifetime is not transferrable and that if a box with lifetime kicks the bucket, tough luck, need to buy another lifetime on a new box.

What happens with Best Buy coverage if the unit is replaced, will TiVo do a lifetime transfer?

9. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    What you were told is true if you buy another box. For example, you have a Premiere and want to replace it with an Elite. You cannot transfer the lifetime. If you have a Premiere and it breaks and is replaced under warranty, the lifetime is transferrable. When the next TiVo comes out, Series 5, or whatever, they might offer deals to transfer the lifetime. They did that when the Premiere came out.

Joe

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just ordered an extended warranty for my new Elite. $40 for 3 years seemed like cheap insurance for such an expensive unit. If I had a standard Premiere that only cost $100 I wouldn't have bothered, but the Elite is so expensive the cost of the warranty was cheap in comparison.

Dan

11. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I doubt it given since it's a third party warranty. Tough enough getting TiVo to honor lifetime transfer to a replacement box under their own warranty, as I understand it.

12. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you don't understand it.

I have never seen anyone with a lifetime TiVo, that was replaced under a TiVo warranty say there were any issues having the lifetime service transferred to the replacement unit.

Regarding third party warranties I have not seen anyone post lately what happen when there lifetime TiVo was replaced by the third party warranty. There are however older threads were people indicated TiVo did transfer the lifetime service without any major issues.

If anyone has any current experience with a third party warranty and lifetime service it would be great if you posted it.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think TiVos policy is to charge $200 to transfer lifetime to a new box if the lifetime is over 3 years old. If you're within the 3 years I think they will honor it provided the box is identical or you can prove the old one was replaced under warranty.

Dan

14. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado

15. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Complaints or questions? I certainly can not prove a negative, so I can not say with 100% assurance that no one ever complained. However this is a HUGE accusation and one that would light these boards on fire if true. I have been here quit a bit over the last 5 years and remember no such issue coming up.

Does anyone have direct knowledge of TiVo refusing to transfer lifetime service from a defective unit being replaced under TiVo's warranty to the replacement unit?

16. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    FYI, I am a new Elite owner and just got off a chat with Tivo(which I printed out). They confirmed that if you have the PLS, they DO honor Best Buy's extended warranties. If your unit is replaced by Best Buy and it's still under the Best Buy warranty, you simply send Tivo the proof of your extended warranty and they transfer your PLS to the replaced unit at no charge

17. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I think ltxi is confusing complaints about TiVo declining to transfer lifetime on failed boxes not under warranty and/or more than three years old. Many people complained about the three year policy but that's not really relevant to the warranty question.

The only other transfer complaints I recall are from people who think TiVo should transfer their lifetime service to a Premiere Elite when their S1/S2/S3 dies.

And people who want a pony.

18. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    :D