Premiere Elite Availability...how long for Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bearcat2000, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1 of 28
    bearcat2000

bearcat2000 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the timespan was between the Premiere announcement and it's availability...maybe it will be about the same for the Elite. Anyone know?

2. Sep 9, 2011 #2 of 28
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I know an FCC hurdle was just leaped so I would expect a firm release date will be announced soon.

3. Sep 9, 2011 #3 of 28
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    There were accidental clues about the Premiere in the fall before the Premiere's announcement, but it was officially announced (with a date) about a month before its launch. March 2010 -> April 2010.

Tivo mentioned in their FCC filings that they would like to launch it by mid October. They just got the approvals they need on Wed, so they may still be on target, or slightly delayed. But it's not too far away.

4. Sep 9, 2011 #4 of 28
    bearcat2000

bearcat2000 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replys!!! Hopefully should have one in my hand within a couple months then!

5. Sep 9, 2011 #5 of 28
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The question isn't when does the product become available for sale, but when will Tivo actually deliver a complete and fully functional Premiere Elite to the customers?

The Premiere itself still isn't finished, over a year after they started selling it.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #6 of 28
    bearcat2000

bearcat2000 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    My Series 3 is having some hiccups...had a Premiere XL ordered on 9/7...obviously didn't do my research as the Elite was announced less than a day later...so I canceled my order/returning the Premiere. I have had great luck with the S3 but the sheer number of people complaining about the Premiere is worrisome. The main thing I hear is the HDGUI not being finished. What is this about? Just some screens are HD and some not? Also sounds like its pretty slow to refresh and many people change back to older interface (SDGUI?) Also, sounds like if that is still the case, the Elite doesn't have a faster processor to speed things up.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #7 of 28
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    We probably won't see real HDUI speed improvements (and more completeness) until next year. Should it have been done faster? Yeah, but it is what it is. That being said, the classic SD menus are pretty snappy.

While I have a hard time recommending anybody with a Series 3 platform to upgrade to a "plain" Premiere because (IMO) there aren't enough new things to warrant it yet, the Elite may definitely be worthwhile for the extra tuners if that's something that's attractive to you. If your S3 can hold out a bit longer, it may be worth the wait.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #8 of 28
    yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    NEVER!

9. Sep 9, 2011 #9 of 28
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    What doesn't the Premiere do that makes it less than fully functional?

10. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I don't have a Premiere yet, but I have been looking into this. It seems like if you have a fast internet connection, with low latency, you get good results. If you don't ....

You can still use the old UI, and not be concerned. But I believe this doesn't give you the meter for how full the drive is. Also, yes many of the menus remain in SD (read older like the S3s used).

11. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    The HDUI isn't complete and can be slower than molasses at times, the second core isn't enabled, and it seems like people are complaining about the child controls (I don't use the latter so I don't know).

Although perhaps not directly Tivo's fault, the netflix implementation looks like a relic of the mid 1990's, and the amazon implementation still doesn't support Prime.

These aren't big things, but that makes one wonder all the more why they just can't get it done and erase the controversy.

12. Atomic Buffalo

Atomic Buffalo New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    Worst Cost, USA
    It doesn't offer an end-to-end HD experience. Every time I pad a recording or touch a Season Pass I'm reminded that the box I've had for a year and a half still isn't finished. Do those old menus work? Yes, but they significantly diminish the functionality. Yes, functionality -- while I'm in HD menus I'm still watching TV; when I hit those old decrepit menus I'm not watching TV.

I could forgive that when the box was new -- and the strong implication if not outright statement was that the rest of the interface would be upgraded. A year and a half later, it's just lazy.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There is more functionality in the HD UI that is lost in the SD UI. For instance, if you search for a show in the HD UI, you can edit the season pass settings and do things like change the channel (this is great when switching from a sd to hd channel). But if you go to the season pass manager, you are dumped to the SD UI and can't use the features.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I bought the Premiere on the very first day. I DEFINITELY won't be buying this anytime soon. I miss the days when one could get excited over a Tivo product.

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You have to be kidding.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I got the Premiere at launch too. But I defintely plan on getting one Elite at launch.
    I still need to figure out how I want to incorporate a second Elite. If they plan on selling the Preview at retail also, then I will get a second Elite and a Preview as well. While keeping one Premiere and selling four Premieres.
    of course if the resale value of the Premieres is too low, then I will only be getting one Elite(and preview) and keeping two Premieres.

17. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Sometimes I think you're single handedly trying to keep the company in business.... :) As a shareholder (why? why do I still own it? why?) I appreciate this but as a consumer, I'm never buying another Tivo product unless it's proven to me that it's complete at purchase time. I had faith; I don't anymore.

18. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I have a Roku I use for these, it has a much better interface. The new Rokus can support 1080p and 5.1 audio from Netflix.

19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    But there's no reason why this should be so - Tivo could update the Netflix and Amazon apps so you wouldn't NEED the Roku for those. That was supposed to be the embodiment of the 'one box' marketing BS - Tivo is a DVR, Tivo is your internet streaming box.

20. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I have a Roku I use for these, it has a much better interface. The new Rokus can support 1080p and 5.1 audio from Netflix. I don't currently subscribe to Netflix, but I use Amazon Prime a fair bit with it. I have used it with Netflix, and the interface was far superior. Amazon prime has recently added a lot more content that is free. They now have the whole Star Trek TV franchise available; I have been watching Next Generation season 1 during the doldrums between TV seasons.