Premiere Elite and HDMI Splitters

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by chrisser71, Jan 28, 2012.

1. chrisser71

chrisser71 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Hi there, I live by myself and want to simplify my setup by not having so many boxes, and streaming, and complication. Because again, I live by myself, and I also rarely sit down and watch TV, I like the same signal to go to all TVs, in other words a single box capable of sending the same HDMI signal to all of three different TVs in three different rooms at the same time. To accomplish this, I have already purchased a Tivo Previere Elite, partly because one of the features Tivo advertised was that it allowed up to 16 different simultaneous HDMI connections via HDMI compliant splitters. My apartment isn't that big so the HDMI lines wouldn't be very long, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, what types of splitters I should use, and any other relevant info. I think it's odd that Tivo would tout this as a feature and then not talk about it ANYWHERE (at least that I could see), and it doesn't seem to have been talked about in this forum either. So let's discuss... Thanks! Chris

2. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    I've done this for years...also living by myself and only needing the same content across multiple screens.... I use a monoprice hdmi splitter. i've had it for 6 years now with no issues. For IR support, I use hardwired IR repeaters that use Cat 5 wiring. Everything's mounted in an AV closet and feeds to all tvs in the house....

3. chrisser71

chrisser71 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    I'll have to check out the monoprice. I bought a cheap splitter previously and a really long hdmi cable and that is not a good combo, so I figure I need to get a better splitter that also boosts the signal quite a bit as well. As for IR, I think the best solution now is probably the Harmony Link. For years, I've monkeyed with IR/RF dealie-bobs that work most of the time, but I'm so sick of my housecleaner accidentally moving the little IR extenders, or batteries running out, or the RF not working, such a hassle. Since I've also used and loved Harmony's for years, I plan to put all my equipment in a closet now, and run it all using my iPhone, wifi, and the Harmony Link positioned in front. Cool!

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    How does that work with the HDCP?

Short version: Most of the time, I am watching TV "through" my XS32 (yes, horrors, not HD, but I'm not recording the HD channels the vast majority of the time). I would ALSO like to connect my Tivos via HDMI, but if I do that, then when I'm watching the XS32's output, HCDP isn't enabled, so the Tivo outputs HDCP not enabled on all outputs.. So for the rare times I want to actually use the HDMI input (when the XS32 is recording), I plug in a HDMI cable.. which of course is not good for the connectors.

5. chrisser71

chrisser71 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer the Xs32 question, not sure what format that is, or why anybody would want to watch TV less than HD? :)

Regarding HDMI over CAT5, I wasn't aware of it, but I'm looking into it, and it looks like a really great option. I am looking at a Tripp-Lite device that allows an HDMI input, and outputs CAT5e/CAT6 and also allows the adding of audio to the stream. This is a problem for me because I use a Denon receiver and it appears that I cannot send audio out via HDMI as well as send it to the amp, so if I want to to use the receiver (and why wouldn't I?) then it strips off the audio from the outgoing HDMI signal, which I need to add back in. Dumb, I know, but I'm having trouble getting to the bottom of this.

Anybody have experience with Tripp-Lite HDMI splitters and repeaters over CAT5e/CAT6?

6. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    This sounds like a really good, and cheap option for me, im going to look into the hdmi over Ethernet more.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I use HDMI over CAT5. I send the output from my wife's S3 to an HDMI splitter. One way goes to her main TV, and the other goes to an HDMI/CAT5 converter, which then goes over CAT5 to her little TV in the kitchen (another converter on that end, obviously).

She controls her S3 when she's at the kitchen TV using wmcbrine's tivoremote program on her laptop.

It works great--the converter and the program.

Here is the device I bought for using HDMI/CAT5:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7YRWS/ref=wms_ohs_product

Happy to answer any questions you may have.