Premiere - didn't make it 5 months

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kreskin, Jul 10, 2011.

1. kreskin

kreskin New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Hi,

I purchased a refurb TIVO Premiere in February. I primarily purchased it because I was tired of enhancing the Comcast profits every month by renting their substandard DVR. After getting on this site and doing some research, I found the TIVO was clearly superior to the Comcast DVR. I ran the numbers and figured I would about break even when all the costs were included over time. I prepaid for one year of service to bring the total cost down. I also recently upgraded to a 2TB hard drive using posts on this site to help. I thought I had cut another cord with Comcast and had found the ultimate DVR/time shifting machine.

My first problem with the box was with the Cable card. After nearly 2 weeks of dealing with Comcast and TIVO, I was finally able to get the box operational. It locked up a few times in the past few months and I was always able to get it going again by rebooting. Then, 2 weeks ago, I came back from my vacation to find I couldn't get any cable channels. I unplugged it and thought it would reboot like it always had before. Not this time. I got the TIVO welcome, starting up screen, but then the green and yellow light would flash and the TV screen went blank. The fan also stopped. I put the OEM hard drive back in hoping that the hard drive had gone bad, but got the same results. From the posts here, it sounds like a power supply issue.

Now I don't know what to do. In the last 5 months, I've paid $400 for TIVO, accessories and service and I can't even watch cable TV. I could live without the recording ability for a while, but I have to have a cable box. TIVO will fix the box for $50. Should I spend $50 with no guarantee that I won't be doing it again in a few months? If I pay the $50 and get a new (refurb) I will have to deal with the cable card issue again and have deal with reformatting the hard drive to work in the new unit. I don't have the time or patience to go though all of this again.

Has anyone had any success in getting TIVO to not charge the $50 fee? If so, how did you do it? Are there any other options I need to consider?

I sincerely appreciate any help anyone can offer. I'm sorry that my first post had to be negative, but I'm frustrated.

Thanks,

2. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Then I would recommend a Comcast DVR. Sorry your Premiere took a dump on ya. :(

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    it could be a bad cablecard. i would go there first- pull it and reboot.

50 sounds reasonable. make sure it is on a ups, esp when u r on vacation.

4. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I had a warranty repair and it only cost me the shipping back to Tivo, as I recall. This was an early Tivo HD that I bought not long after they were first released.

I had reported the issue while it was under warranty (at the very end) and the CSR I talked to asked me to try something before doing a return. I did that, when I called back to let them know it didn't work, they told me it was out of warranty. I explained to the new CSR that it had been under warranty when I first reported the issue. I still got covered. If you take an action that voids your warranty, you shouldn't blame Tivo.