Premiere buffer observation

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pdhenry, Jul 3, 2011.

1. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I hit the Record button 1 hour 5 minutes into a 90 minute program and it captured the program back to the beginning. How big is that buffer again?

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    More on this: If I just look at the buffer depth (hit play, pause or rev while not recording) it only shows a half hour buffer. If I then hit Record it still is able to grab back to the beginning (obviously only if it has been tuned to that channel since the start of the progran). This worked 51 minutes into a movie as well as more than an hour into a show.

3. bricketh

bricketh Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I had the same experience recently, but chocked it up to a fluke, and forgot about it. Good to see it confirmed, as I will look into doing that again.

4. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Its been like that right the way back to the DirectTivos. I think the buffer is set size in GBs. How much video fits in that depends on the video bit rate. When doing trick play in the live buffer it only admits to 30 min though.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So I tested this last night when I noticed that My Premiere's tuners were on channel 11-1 and the cable version of that channel, 11. About 50 minutes into a program on channel 11 I pressed the record button and I got the whole 50 minutes plus 6 minutes before that. Then I switched to the other tuner that was on channel 11-1 and did the same thing and this time the first 15 minutes were not included.

6. Dante101

Dante101 ...in between dreams

Aug 1, 2003
    Fullerton, CA
    Am grateful for this. Nice feature. I've had DirecTivos since 2002 and have never before experienced a grab reaching back further than 30 mins (but there were many instances I wish it had).