Premiere and terabytes of TS transfers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by QuickSkip, Jan 19, 2012.

1. QuickSkip

QuickSkip New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    OK. I've been reading here and that "other" forum, and I think I know where I stand, but I'm also new at this and probably overlooking something.

Used the TiVo Desktop software to do all the transfers up until now; and of course after discovering kmttg/tivodecode I can't strip the TiVo crap off the TS mpegs. (just exits immediately w/o error.)

Using GraphEdit from the Windows SDK, you can see how the TiVo DirectShow Source filter lets stuff play .tivo files but why ffmpeg & VLC can't do anything since they're not using the codecs.

The problem is, the shows have been long ago deleted off the TiVo. I don't see an easy (and open-source) way to do this other than transfer the shows back to the TiVo, and then re-transfer them to the media server as PS streams. Seems crazy redundant.

It's only a problem because I want to convert some of the stuff to put on our portables to watch on the subway, the TS files play perfectly fine in both native Windows and QMEU images. (probably works under wine as long as those two tivo filters are installed, although not tested.)

Is tivodecode under active development? Obviously the capability to properly handle TS files is something everyone would want, and I'm in no hurry now that I've switched it so future transfers come over as PS, so ignoring the issue and waiting is fine too...

I tried using a couple video conversion programs that use DirectShow filters, even Windows Movie Maker, but it doesn't engage the TiVo Media Source filter; only the audio comes through, the video is black.

Anyway, thanks for reading. If you know a GPL (or at least freeware) way to do this, other than re-re-transferring the videos, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks!

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    You may want to post in the KMTTG thread if you are having issues with it.

Also if you are running windows 7 or possibly Vista, sometimes there are permission errors so I found it best to put KMTTG in a folder other than under program files. Mine for exampe is just c:/KMTTG.

3. QuickSkip

QuickSkip New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Wait, what? :confused:

You skimmed it I guess. I have no issues with kmttg, but thanks for heads-up on permissions issues.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I thought when you said it exited immediately w/o errors you were talking about KMTTG.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you use recent/latest version of VideoRedo TVSuite it can decrypt TS .TiVo files without a problem (it also uses DirectShow to do it so you need TiVo Desktop installed, or at least partially installed with TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll). Even if you don't have or want to buy VideoRedo you can download and register a fully functional trial version which will work.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    +1 for VideoReDo.

Plus (no pun intended), it has a batch feature so you can just dump all your TiVo files into a batch job and have it convert them into MPEG-2 (or any other supported format) without you having to do it one-by-one.

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The older decrypter (DirectShow Dump) should also work with TS files. It uses the TiVo dll and DirectShow instead of directly removing the turing encryption. I haven't tried it myself because I only have Series 2 TiVos.

If anyone has some TS files available for download I could tackle an update of tivodecode.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It does, however for Windows 7 that old tool no longer installs properly (.net not compatible), so one has to use DirectShow tools to do it (I was able to setup a graph to do it but wouldn't want to try explain the steps to casual users). So simpler to use VideoRedo which uses DirectShow under the hood.