Premiere and streaming YouTube, Netflix?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JaneiR36, Mar 21, 2011.

1. JaneiR36

JaneiR36 New Member

Oct 18, 2007

Advertisements

I just bought a Sony BDP-S580 Blu Ray player for $190. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% satisfied with the Netflix streaming & YouTube and was hoping there was something better out there, either the Premiere or another DVD player. Could you help me?

Problems with Netflix: The picture is fine. Seeing my instant queue displayed is great. The rewind and FF is just a bit clumsy. To most probably wouldn't be so terrible, but being used to TiVo's 8 second rewind / 30 second FF, the whole hit RR 2ce, then wait as it crawls / flies to a location, then hit play and hope for best results could get somewhat excruciating.

YouTube: Picture quality is terrible, although I think that could be improved if I go wired instead of wireless. But secondly, I cannot rewind or FF (or at least can't find out to do so) while watching YouTube vids.

Is the Premiere better at any of this? Does it have typical TiVo functions? I have an S2DT with Lifetime service that I'm really quite satisfied with, so I wasn't really considering buying another TiVo, but with another ~$200 at this point, I could probably reconsider getting one. Is there a DVD player that is a bit better at handling these functions? Please help.

2. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    The Tivo Premiere is also clumsy on FF and Rewind. So is the Roku box, and any other streaming box I've used. I think it's just how it is with streaming - you don't have the entire video saved locally, so it needs to call up the video in a different spot if you're FF-ing or rewinding, and that takes a little while.

I will say I don't think the Tivo Premiere has the best interface for Netflix. It's literally your instant queue, and that's it. Doesn't track which episodes you've watched of TV shows, which is frustrating - we've had a lot of "have we watched that episode yet?"

Roku knocks it out of the park in comparison - it tracks which episodes you've watched of shows. It has great suggestions and lists of similar shows. Just much more user friendly. I've decided to reattach my Roku despite having Netflix on my new Tivo Premiere.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I think the Premiere has the best FF/REW of any Netflix implementation because it uses the same features as the TiVo. So I can quickly skip forward or back. That and Native resolution output capability are the best things about the TiVo Netflix application. And for watching Netflix content only, it makes it the best.
    But for other features like adding things to your queue etc, the TiVo Netflix app is lacking compared to what's on other devices.

4. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    You can search for something not in your queue and watch it. All you do is search in the main tivo search thing and it will allow you to get it from netflix.

I haven't used roku, but I don't mind netflix on the tivo. Never had any complaints myself.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Forum Runner

5. JaneiR36

JaneiR36 New Member

Oct 18, 2007

Advertisements

TiVo features for RR/FF sounds really tempting! It doesn't even have to do it instantaneously, just so long as I have a better idea where I'll end up I'm okay to wait a few seconds for the picture to start moving again.

Any comments on YouTube?

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't know what I was thinking with that post. I've been using so many devices lately with Netflix, VUDU and Hulu+ that I've mixed things up.

With TiVo and Netflix you use the FF/REW buttons, not the skip forward, unless you want to skip to the end. but the skip back works.
    But the REw/FF works very well since you have the three speeds like you normally do with TiVo. Of course you still get the staic pictures when doing this like with every Netflix enabled device.

EDIT: or maybe the 30 second skip does work and I'm mixing things up. I don't use the 30 second skip with my Premieres but it is enabled on my girlfriends S3 boxes so maybe that is what I'm remembering.

Either way I think navigating the Netflix application is the best with TiVo. UNfotunately the Netflix App on TiVo does not have the numerous features available from other devices. But for just playback of your queue and Native resolution output the TiVo is at the top.

7. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    All you need to do is search and you can find ANYTHING on netflix. You don't have to have it in your instant queue.

8. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Last time I tried youtube (a couple of months ago) to view a movie trailer, it completely locked the Tivo up requiring a reboot. This happened when using FF. Considering how long the reboot takes, I swore I'd never use youtube on it again, and instead use one of the other devices connected to the TV (including the TV itself) that supports youtube, doesn't lock up, and doesn't take an eternity to boot.

It also seemed like the interface wasn't especially convenient (esp when typing) compared to the Sony youtube interface in my TV and playstation.

I really wish they'd have stuck to just providing a decent and complete HD DVR. All of the Internet functionality is fully redundant. I have 3 other devices in the living room alone that do youtube, netflix, etc. Relatively soon, all reasonable quality TVs are going to be internet connected.

As far as a 'DVD player' with these features, like I said above, I'm partial to Sony. If you're considering buying a DVD player, just buy a PS3, they're under $300 and you can play games on it, view the web, stream video to it, store pictures and movies on it's internal hard drive, etc. Sony earned a lot of respect from me by having the thing self-upgrade to 3D capability rather than having to buy some gadget or upgrade. Shows both technological and marketing competence.

9. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I find the Tivo search on Netflix a bit unwieldy. I would imagine it would be less so with the Tivo Slide remote. My biggest complaint, however, is the fact that it doesn't display which episodes you've watched. The Roku (and, I think, even my Wii), when you open a show with multiple episodes, it'll highlight and be on the next episode you haven't watched, automatically. It's much slicker, quicker, and intuitive than the Tivo. Kind of too bad - I really do like having everything in one box, and I do love my Tivo. I'm still hoping at some point they'll implement similar features.

On a side note, my wife commented how nice it would be if you could have Netflix folders - we have maybe 150 shows in our queue. But they mostly fit into nice categories - kids shows, documentaries, TV shows, cheesy 80's movies, classics, etc. Would be nice to have it easier to find shows in big queues. But I think this is a Netflix issue, not a Tivo one - I'd imagine you would need folders in your Netflix queue to make it work

10. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I was a ROKU user now trying to move to TIVO for NETFLIX. I am warming up to it now that I have used it some especially now that I have figured out how to search. The quality is very good and I have very few reloads no more then what I might get with ROKU. The few things I thing that could improve it or:

Be able to browse through at least new releases.

Watching TV shows somehow marking which show you last watched or is next or something.

Making the search a little better. I have searched things that I know or in NETFLIX and the search doesn't find it. The results just find amazon downloads for those things I have searched for.

11. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I've gotten around that issue by removing Amazon and Blockbuster from my VOD choices: Settings & Messages > Settings > Channels > Video Provider List. Leaving only Netflix checked removes the other "pay" services from the TiVo Search results.

12. JaneiR36

JaneiR36 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Just like being able to specify "channels I receive", how cool!

I think my expectations with this DVD player may have been a bit too high up there. I just tried using the built in web browser to watch a recently aired Fox episode but the video would not play. There are a lot of fantastic items on this thing, just not sure how well they work for me.

My other option is to just return the thing and buy the $40 DVD player until technology catches up to what I'm willing to pay a little bit more for.

I played a video game like once in my life (RE: get a PS3), got my ass kicked and left it for the boys in the house. Heheh