Premiere abilities?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mattyro7878, Apr 10, 2020.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I bought a Premiere to fool around with. Is there any features that are no longer around that are still working on a Premiere? Just hoping.

2. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I don't understand you question, but I'll take a stab. The only regularly tenuous things that can be depricated in genreal on TiVo's are the Apps. The Apps are still working on Premieres (unlike the S3's), but using a Roku or Fire TV is a far superior experience, IMHO, than using ANY box like a TiVo or Dish Hopper 3. A great many TiVo users and lovers never use their TiVo's for accessing apps because it can be an inferior experience.

FWIW, all other features on the Premiere still work such as Transferring Recordings to other TiVO DVR's still at TE3 on your LAN and the Streaming (viewing from--not transferring) of recordings from your Premiere to other S4 and higher generations of TiVo DVR's--althogh I am not certain if this includes the S7 Edge). Ever since the Premieres were updated to Haxie years ago, the S4's perform fast enough (for me, which is pretty fast) and very smoothly. I have two S4's, myself, and they are a good DVR if one does not like the later generations pricing.

However, I think the BEST TiVo is the S5 Roamios. The basic has 4 tuners (cable or OTA--you have to choose which during set-up--capable model or the OTA only model), and other Roamios--cable TV only capable--have 6 tuners. Roamios are great alternatives to later generations of TiVo's if people don't want a Bolt or Edge nor their pricing, but want the best TiVo later genearation alternative.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    wtherrell likes this.
  3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I have a Premiere and still use it. The Premiere still allows transfer to/from a PC (see pyTiVo). You can use the SD interface if you want. It's highly unlikely that the Premiere will get pre-roll ads or in-guide ads.

But the Premiere does have problems. Don't do a Clear Program Information and To Do List - your TiVo won't recover from it. You can still use apps but for your sanity buy a streaming device.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The dual tuner premiere is the last Tivo that can receive cable and OTA simultaneously.
    The premiere still has composite and component output, that the Bolt and Edge do not have.
    The 4 tuner Roamio only has composite output while the 6 tuner Roamio has both.