Premier Xl4 vs Roamio Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pacomartin, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

Premier Xl4 brand new is $200
    Roamio Plus brand new is $320

Comparing the older and the newer model seems easy. Two extra tuners and built in streaming for an extra $120. If you want the extra capacity it is priced well.

Is there any other differences in specifications? Like download speed or remote capabilities.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There really is no comparison between the 2. The first thing you need to understand is that (that there is no comparison).

At a certain price point the Premiere might be worth taking over the Roamio but $120 is no where close to that point.

Unless you have used them both you will never truly understand. But generally the Premieres are outdated old hardware, don't have stream built in and will loose support and new features years before the Roamios. It's like buying a 10 year old "new" car. It maybe new but it is still old.

If you are really in need of saving the $120 - just buy the base Roamio instead which would be the same price (or less) as the 4 tuner Premiere.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Think of it this way, the standalone Stream is $130, so if you have any interest in streaming then that alone is worth the price difference. Everything else that's better is icing on the cake.

4. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I fully agree that to the consumer interested in all the features, the Roamio is a better deal.

The Series4 that I am leasing was manufactured 27 April 2013 (only 17 weeks before the Roamios were released). So the 10 year old car comparison is a bit of a stretch This year my contract will expire and I must make a decision on a new lease or a purchase.

The inclusion of a stream and two extra tuners for the newer equipment is clear. I was hoping to get some insight into other features.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

* The Roamio has a much faster CPU, so the UI will always be faster.

* It will also automatically format a blank hard drive (up to 3 TB) which is good because the HD is the most likely point of failure on a TiVo. If your drive fails it is a simple matter to replace it compared to the Premiere. (If you are a hoarder like myself you can get a 4 TB or 6 TB drop-in HD from Weaknees, but that is true for Premieres as well.)

* The Roamio has an RF remote; you don't have to point it and it works through walls, it is even faster sometimes. (An IR mode is also available.)

* As of today, the Roamio supports Amazon Instant Video streaming and the Premiere does not, although this is supposed to be made available in 2015 for the Premiere as well. There is a suggestion that the better CPU on the Roamio will mean that the Amazon experience will be poorer on the Premiere, nobody really knows outside TiVo at this point.

6. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you! A very concise summary.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Roamio's also have a Vudu app if you like to rent VOD or are a user of "Digital Copy" when you buy DVDs/BDs. I use the Vudu app a LOT. I use it to rent movies and I use it to buy them. I use to use it occasionally on my smart TV, but now that it's on TiVo I use it even more.

I'm also using Amazon more now that it's on TiVo. It may seem lazy but there is just something about the convenience of a single device that does everything. I'm hoping they add more apps down the road. HBOGo and ShowTime Anytime would be awesome. Smaller services like Crackle and Plex would be nice too.

One thing to consider is that you can probably get a 6 tuner DVR from RCN now. I forget what they call it, but it's a Roamio Pro with a different faceplate. It even does streaming without having to rent the extra Stream. Not sure what they charge for it though.

Another thing to consider is that RCN does not allow VOD access from retail TiVos. The VOD app is only available on their leased boxes. Although they also have the ability to block certain apps, and I'm not sure which ones they allow you to access. So if Amazon and Vudu are important to you then you might want to check if they allow those on their 6 tuner box or not.