1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier XL4 frame rate drops

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Dr_Zoidberg, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I have a Premiere XL4 (758) I bought in 2013, with Lifetime. I upgraded to a recommended model 3TB drive two years ago, and it's been fine. Earlier this year, I had a number of random reboots during playback and recording, so I ran the various hardware disk diagnostics, and it seem to have stopped rebooting.

Recently, I've noticed that every once in a while, the frame rate on playback of my recordings drops to something less than 24 fps, more like 12. Audio is fine, and does not stutter when this happens. I've reversed and replayed the same clip and the frame rate is good.

I'm not sure what my next steps with this unit are, here. I am running SW version 20.7.1.RC2-01-2-758, or is that the latest for my Premiere XL4?

I've considered upgrading to a Bolt, but I haven't seen any discounts on transferring the lifetime over to one, so I guess they've stopped offering them. Any suggestions?

Sadly, I still have an S2 DT with lifetime that's just powered off. Probably not worth selling, now. I also have an S3 TivoHD that's in the master bedroom, but I mostly use that as a tuner, since Optimum seems to have turned on the no transfer flag for almost every channel they provide...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You missed this post then (and you should have received a mail from TiVo)? Has that S2 been powered off more than a year? You could always use the S3 to upgrade.

Transfer of Lifetime from Series 2 or Series 3 TiVo for $99, with purchase of new Bolt

Scott

3. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
  4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I just read that it had been extended but might end today so you better hurry.

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Yes, as a matter of fact, it was. Thanks for the heads up! I called them on Thursday. I thought I had recently turned off my S2, but it was over a year ago, and therefore ineligible. Fortunately, my S3HD was eligible, and I used it instead. Turned out I changed my email preferences to stop them from sending me offers, so I never received one.

The 500GB and 1TB units were on backorder, and people couldn't place orders for them. That's probably why they extended the upgrade plan. I went with the 3TB Bolt+.

6. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I have a Premier 4 XL Elite and they would not offer me the $99 transfer. Called and was told too bad.

I too occasionally have the dropped frames on playback and based on Tivo's answer, I think I will just get a new HD.

7. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I've seen it with the Bolt, too. It doesn't happen anywhere near as often. My previous config had the XL4 sending its signal to my Yamaha stereo/video switcher, and then on to the TV. Currently, I have the Bolt directly connected to another HDMI port in the TV.

Given that, I'm beginning to suspect that it's the TV that's dropping frames, because I've seen it happen, pressed the replay button, and don't see the dropped frames the second (and sometimes third) time through the same section of the recordings.