Premier XL (2 Tuner - OTA and cable) and Bolt+ (6 Tuner - cable only)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Sparky1234, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

I have 2 Premier XL (2 Tuner - OTA and cable) and 1 Bolt+ (6 Tuner - cable only).

I am requesting recommendations on ways to use the 2 Premiers OTA for TV and with wireless adapters for TiVo updates and then transfer OTA TV content to a Bolt+. The Bolt+ can be moved around to connect to the Premiers directly. I'm uncertain on how to directly connect the Premiers and Bolt via COAX - MOCA? CAT? WiFi?. Can I transfer content from Premiere to Premiere wirelessly?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    To be able to transfer, they must be on the same Tivo.com account (which would have the same Media Access Key), networked on the same network (wired or wireless).

You can transfer from the Bolt, as long as its not copy-protected, but to transfer shows to the Bolt and its running Software v21 (See system Information) then it must be initiated from online.tivo.com. Bolts usually are running v21 and can be downgraded to v20 (losing voice control), except Bolt OTA.

Transfers are only done over the network. It doesn't matter what location there are in, just being on the same network matters.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As stated, MRV (transfers) requires only compatible boxes on the same TiVo account and a home network connection, even wireless; and transfers are greatly simplified if the receiving unit (the BOLT+) is running TE3.

MRS (streaming) requires a faster network connection, w/ TiVo only officially supporting wired Ethernet or MoCA setups. Many people using wireless for streaming, but it is DIY; TiVo doesn't support it (outside the new TiVo Wireless Adapter for the Mini VOX/LUX).

MRV transfers are also dependent upon the content not being copy-protected (generally not a problem for OTA recordings), while MRS streaming is compatible even with copy-protected content.

Further, MRV transfers are only available once a recording completes; while MRS streaming is available while content is still recording, making live viewing of a current OTA recording possible via another networked DVR, provided sufficient bandwidth.

To network the Premieres using MoCA, you'd need coax outlets at each location that are connected to the same shared coax plant, and each Premiere would require the assistance of a standalone MoCA adapter. To make a more complete recommendation, we'd need more detail on how all the devices are interconnected via coax (cable modem, antenna, DVRs, Minis? splitters, amps, filters?).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  4. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Should have included this in my first post.....

All are TE3 / current v20.

Moving to temporary location and planning to use 2 Premier XL (2 Tuner - OTA and cable) and 1 Bolt+ (6 Tuner - cable only) for the next 5-6 months.

I plan to record non-copy protected OTA TV with the 2 Premier XLs using 2 antennas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVLXHYV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now no coax, no cat 5/6, no power line adapters. WiFi only. All on same account and MAK. Think of the units as standalone, planning stages for WiFi, but portable enough to connect them together to transfer.

The ask: Looking for specific recommendations for Premiere XL and Bolt+ DIY WiFi adapters for MRS and MRV.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Whatever you use OTA or cable, it is fine and does not involve your question.

WiFi is fine for transfers (MRV), its just that they can be slower compared to a wired network connection. OTA is never copy-protected. The speed will not improve if you move the 2 Tivos closer together, rather its how far apart are they from the router.

I have a Roamio and a laptop connected to 5G wireless and KMTTG transfers get about 40-55 Mbps, a computer on Wireless N is only a little less than that, 30-40mbps.

Your Bolt should be a little faster than that, but the Premieres can be a little slower. (Older model and CPU)

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You may find that the router (and its built-in wireless access point) may be a factor, as well, at least for MRS/streaming. @JoeKustra's past posts have offered some good examples for working components.

7. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Thanks. Joe has so many posts, any pointers?

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Most important factor is the router. A 10-year old router without antenna may not have the power. If your router and modem are one unit you probably have to live with it. Next is to stand where the Mini will be located. What's between you and the router. The more "stuff" the harder it will be to get a good signal. Right now I'm using RE6500 Ethernet to wireless bridges on both A93 Mini. My Mini VOX has a TiVo wifi5 USB adapter. There are no third party USB bridges that will work with older equipment. But it all depends on your environment and your budget. I can suggest other bridges if you are interested.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Hi Joe,

I have 2 Netgear R7000 routers. Tried setting up one as an extender then bridge but no luck - router software in limited and I might try Tomato. It worked well in AP mode for years. I have 2 A93 minis but I was not planning on using them. I'm trying to get the Premiers XL 2 tuner models setup for OTA and WiFi with a Bolt+ in the mix if possible. I have a Premier XL4, and a Roamio 6 tuner in ready reserve. Moved to a temporary location for the next 6-7 months so I don't want to spend a lot for this short term solution. Eventually will go to all CAT 6 again.

Do you recommend a bridge type setup for the Premieres to get updates and MRS/MRV? Can I use the RE6500 connected to the Premieres? I can run CAT 6 though the house temporarily for Premiere updates.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The R7000 is fine as a router. I have no clue if it can work as a range extender/bridge. Most bridges are sold as range extenders. I've been using Netgear for years. My current router is an R8300.

Looking back at post 1, the logic flaw is that Premiere's don't have wireless. The Bolt+ does have built-in wireless, which can be used for internet connection via the router. The Premieres need internet access. The Mini only needs Ethernet to reach the router. You might look into cheap powerline adapters since this is not a permanent setup. The RE6500 has four Ethernet ports, so both Premieres can use it, as well as the Mini boxes.

Other wireless adapters: WUMC710, DAP-1650, EX7000 and TEW-800MB. Prices vary. The easiest to configure is the RE580D.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Sparky1234 and krkaufman like this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Per this Netgear Community thread, the R7000 should be capable of "wireless bridge" setup.

Sparky1234 likes this.
  12. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Thanks Joe, as usual you are spot on. I'll post back when I get a workable solution so this thread may help others in the future.

13. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    I have tried that setup with no luck, and many others. The internet is littered with R7000 bridge and extender set up failures. If I get it to work I'll post back the how. It's my cheapest solution if I can get it to work.

I'm connecting through a Verizon Model G3100 router so both R7000's can be used as bridges for the TiVo Premiere XLs, if I can get them to work. Joe has offered other solutions above that I may have to adopt if the R7000s won't work.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    krkaufman likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you think the factory reset, prior to setting Bridge Mode, may have been instrumental?

edit: p.s.
    As an aside, that thing has built-in MoCA 2.5 bridging.

16. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Yes, there were many setting changes over the years that probably affected Bridge mode so the reset cleared everything. Still fast and working great 3 days and counting.

How do I use MoCa on a TiVo without cable?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    krkaufman likes this.
  17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    MoCa is using the coax for networking and does not pertain to whether you have cable service or OTA. The only requirement is the coax cable to the Moca-enabled router or to the MoCa adapter to the router's ethernet port.

18. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    So without cable/coax I can't use MoCa?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MoCA requires coax. If your residence has no coax lines, the MoCA 2.5 capability of your G3100 is superfluous. But I can't tell if you're saying that you don't have any coax lines or that you aren't subscribed to FiOS cable TV services.

Also, I was mentioning the G3100's MoCA 2..5 feature in case it could be useful for your setup beyond any TiVo needs, in case any of your rooms would benefit from a wired network connection.

Sparky1234 likes this.
  20. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Update: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 #1 in Bridge Mode was working fine until I connected R7000 #2 in Bridge Mode. #2 connected initially then could not find router after initial connection. #1 then lost connection. I read somewhere in a blog that 2 R7000 will not work in bridge mode on the same network. Now I'm going to try a power line adapter with a Netgear Powerline 1000 Mbps WiFi, 802.11ac, 1 Gigabit Port - Essentials Edition (PLW1010-100NAS) as #2 as it gets good reviews. I plan to reset #1 and try again with the powerline. I did get the Bolt+ and the Premiere working side by side with 2 separate remotes.