premier OTA just as good as hr10 250?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Oct 7, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    thinking about ditching directv but OTA recording is a must. my OTA has come in perfectly for years with the old HDTIVO..anyone have any experience with the premiere vs. the old unit? i want to assume newer is better but you know what happens when you do that

2. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    See this 7 page thread containing first-hand reports of the Premiere's OTA reception vs. the Series3/HD models. The consensus seems to be that the premiere is not as good at OTA for many people. There hasn't been any new information added to the thread for a while though.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The premiere actually is on par with the TiVo HD other than displaying a lower signal quality which seems to just be a display issue. Many say the original Tivo S3 model has the best tuner. However, all 3 have pretty good tuners compared to most other devices.

4. Popasmurf

Popasmurf TiVo Holic

Jun 10, 2002
    Illinois
    I can tell you that I am lacking ALOT of OTA channels on my premier but get them on my TV. TV gets 80's and Premier gets like 60's or 50's. I have not attempted to connect it to my S3 to verify the signal strengh/quality.

Matthew

5. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I had an HR10-250 and the Premiere is definitely an OTA upgrade from that. The technology has come a long way.

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    good to hear..how is the speed of interface compared to hdtivo?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    IMO: Tivo Service is required; Premiere/XL is 19.99/month while for the older Series 3/HD/XL is 12.95/month. Lifetime pricing has risen to 499.99.

Your DirecTV unit will not count towards a Tivo Service Multi Service Discount.

The Premiere's OTA tuners had been noted as slightly less sensitive to reception. You may be better with a Series 3/HD, reception is better.

I use the HD with a rooftop antenna. Prior to the digital transition, I had around 10 channels of analog. Currently, after the transition, I have close to 40 digital channels. The weakest channel I get is the Home Shopping channel and its clear most of the day.