Premier issues with tuning adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Knoxes, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009

Advertisements

I've been a TIVO customer for over 10 years and have had this Premier for several years. It's generally worked well, but didn't record a game last night and now won't display any of the digital channels. I've had to reset the TA a few times over the past few months to fix this same problem. Last night, I called TWC/Spectrum in the NC Triangle area and ended up with the Tech Support for cable cards. They asked me to reset and run the channel setup on the TIVO menu. They said that they had received multiple calls from TIVO customers, advised them to do the setup and hadn't received any callbacks. Since it takes ~20-30 minutes, I didn't have them hold the call. Unfortunately it didn't work. When I reset the TA, it initially flashes for a few minutes. While that's happening, I can get the digital channels. Eventually, the TA light goes solid and I lose the signal. I don't know if this is a TIVO issue or a TWC issue, but would appreciate any insight.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not sure who you talked to but the TWC (now Spectrum) national CableCARD desk is the best place to get help:
    866-532-2598. [Edited to correct]. They were still functioning, last I heard. I'm very skeptical that repeating guided setup on the TiVo would be a solution -- although I'm not sure that's what you did based on your description.

Power cycling the TA with the USB cable disconnected, then reconnecting the USB and restarting the TiVo should be your first steps.

If they received numerous calls, the problem obviously is with Spectrum, not your equipment.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Sounds like the TA is not provisioned/authorized. This has to be done a regular basis at the headend and sometimes they don't do it. I think the reason you get the channels before the TA is functional is that the cable card is doing the channel map, then when it thinks the TA is doing it, it fails.

4. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009
    OK, I'll try the powercycle on the TA tonight.

Can you please clarify "provisioned/authorizing the TA" ? I assume that you mean TWC as the headend. If that's the case, is that something that I can initiate from home (with a powercycle or something similar)?

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

The few times I've had TA issues it was because somebody had inadvertently disabled it or removed it from my account entirely. In all cases, it could only be fixed on their end. Nothing you can do from your end but report it and stay on the phone until you see it working correctly.

6. notting

notting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Where in NC are you? I'm in Chapel Hill and mine's busted since mid-yesterday as well.
    I think they screwed up the channel map (as an uninformed guess).

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That kind of confirms this is a headend issue. All you guys can do is call and lean on Spectrum to fix it.

8. notting

notting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    ... and now the cablecard desk is saying that it's a known issue at least in Chapel Hill, it's on their end, there was a recommendation to re-do guided setup but that hasn't fixed it for people (it didn't for me last night).

So... we wait.

9. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009
    Yeah- I just confirmed that as well. For updates their direct line is 866-533-2598. They just suggested calling back to check in. She said that she couldn’t say if they would be able to reset remotely so I might not know it’s been resolved without speaking with them first.

10. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009
    Local DVR inventories probably got a bit too high. :D

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    ??? Are you sure about that 533? Is there actually a separate number "for updates" rather than the number I gave in post #2 with 532 ?

Regarding TA authorization,
    8-blinks pause means the TA has lost authorization, and is now a brick. It needs to be pushed an authorization signal from the cable system about once per month. You can see the date it will lose authorization in TA diagnostics:

Settings & Messages ... Help ... Account & System Info ... Tuning Adapter ... Tuning Adapter Diagnostics ... PowerKEY Information ... NextPage ... NextPage ... Sub Expires.

The four digits before the '.' are the date. The digits after the '.' are the time, down to the seconds. I think the time is local time rather than GMT. When I was having trouble with TWC not pushing the authorization signal I watched the TA go into 8-blinks exactly at that time.

Maybe there is some other kind of "lack of provisioning" that does NOT cause 8-blinks, but I'm not aware of it.

12. notting

notting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If I go into the Tuning Resolver section of the TA diagnostics, I get:
    TA CONFIG FILE
    LoadTime: <whenever I turned it on>
    Version: 01/30@12:33:33
    Size: 0KB
    NumChan/Split/Desc: 41/0/0

I'm not in any way a cablecompany engineer, but my reading of that in conjunction with the online manual says to me "someone pushed a garbage config file to the head end two days ago".

13. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009
    dlfl - no - your number reaches an Etowah County Home Health (in Alabama maybe?). Just tried my number and it apparently doesn't reach anything. So we have to go back through the whole help system again - 3 transfers last night. At least it's a live person.

Any luck today, notting?

14. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009
    HA! We were both wrong! It's 866-532-2598. On the phone with them now. It's still not resolved on Spectrum's end.

Oh, and they want $24.79/month for a DVR.

Nope.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Oops -- sorry for the typo! Apparently you were not talking to the national help desk before -- good that you are now.

16. Knoxes

Knoxes New Member

May 4, 2009
    They made some progress. I called yesterday afternoon and they had me remove the TA and then they made some adjustments so the EMMs bumped from 10 to 47. That picked up some of the digital channels, but not all. They said this was a temporary fix. At least we got NBC last night.

UCLABB likes this.