Premier HD interface speeded up yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jstaso, May 28, 2011.

1. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    When the Premier first came out, I heard that the HD interface was very slow and people were still using the classic screens. Has the HD speeded up any yet?

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    It has been speeded up but some still says it slow. when it first came out I could press the page down go take a piss and com back and still not has changed. Now I can get to the door and it has changed. It depends on your thinking of speed.

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I have seen no improvement in Tivo Premiere HDUI performance in about a year. Actually I don't think I've ever seen any improvement.

4. shadowfrom88

shadowfrom88 New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I hate to think anyone out there is having issues with their premieres.....but i havent had any issues, in fact my premiere is extremely quick. I have owned several different DVRs in the past ten years and my premiere (speed and functionality) blows them all away. I wonder if the speed issue is more related to broadband speed than hardware/software. I may be comparing apples to oranges here but I remember ten years ago when i had my first internet experience.....all my friends that lived in town (with DSL connections) raved about the internet and all the cool things they could download and websites they could visit. I had dial-up 56k connection, everything about the internet was miserably slow and frustrating and I could not fathom how anyone could possibly enjoy the internet.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat, my friends also have a premiere and their unit is considerably slower than mine.....but so is their internet connection. I have an average download speed of 25mb, theirs is 5mb.

5. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    the permieres speed issues don't seem to be caused from broadband, I have comcast 50 mbps and its still slow.

its not as slow as it used to be though,I use to get spinning green arrows from going down in the list,that issue seems to have gone.

6. TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
    I've had a Premiere since launch, and while the speed of the HDUI still leaves a bit to be desired (especially when scrolling up and down through lists), it's as fast or faster than cable DVRs and I'm pretty sure that there has been some incremental improvement in the last few (and far between) releases. Frankly, it's at a point where I don't notice the speed anymore as an issue and have actually grown to like the HDUI. Stability has also improved significantly for me. No issues for months now.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

7. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    My HDUI has a very slight lag especially when deleting shows or jumping from one page of listings to the next. it's slight, but there. Not anything bad enough to keep me from using the HDUI menus.

8. Jun 4, 2011 #8 of 30
    jonny_ns

jonny_ns New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Button presses lag by about .5 - 1 second when using the HDUI menu. I can't tolerate it. The SDUI menu is considerably quicker, so that's what I use. YMMV.

9. Jun 4, 2011 #9 of 30
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would be annoying if mine took that long to respnd to a button press. For my Premieres the button press is acknowledged right away. If mine took half a second to one second I would have had serious reservations about using the hdui. i would have been forced to use the SDUI like you did.
    Fortunately my Premieres have given me very few issues.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes. Over a year, the HDUI went from a "D-" to about a "C-" (by my expectations). Most of the improvement within the first two updates, with none in the last few. So while there has been improvement, in many people's opinion (mine included), it is still unacceptably slow and/or unresponsive. Especially when compared to other 2011 equipment. Other people seem to have less issues with it- perhaps theirs works better, or their expectations are lower.

And yes, I have a rock solid, 25 Megabit internet connection with very low latency. And no, the basics of the user interface should NOT be dependent on your Internet connection speed.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually, the idea of the basics of your DVR's user interface being dependent on whether or not you have an internet connection at all seems pretty bizarre.

12. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Seems insane to me. And I don't know about ya'll but I've been bombarded with ads for Bounty paper towels on just about every single screen this weekend. Of course those ads pop up before the menu items I want to see so I guess Tivo thinks its more important for me to know about the quicker picker upper before I can list the shows in my "Glades" folder.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Is this something specific to the SDUI? I use the HDUI and it's rare that I even notice any advertisements on the TiVo.

We watched four, hour long network broadcast shows last night(3 - NCIS, 1 Law and Order LA). I never noticed any advertising. Neither did my girfriend.

14. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Nope, it's in both. Every week its something new. This week it's bounty. Its usually cars or something but can vary. I think it depends on your market because one time I set up a Tivo for someone 300 miles away and go totally different ads.

15. Scot Kight

Scot Kight New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    for those who are under the belief that Tivo is on par with the rest of the available DVRs, you are either extremely lucky with your premier and have code the rest of us don't or extremely misinformed as to the speed available on other DVR units. Even the terrible moto fios interface is faster than scrolling around on the tivo premier hd interface. Tivo SD interface is slower as well by a touch, but much more effective and easy to use.

I appreciate that you may have some bad experiences in the past but you really need to compare to current hardware to see that the hd interface on the Tivo is not up to par. The idea of it being based on flash and not optimizing user interface over "extra bits" is not a good UI decision. Not to mention being dependent on network speed (25Mb here, so that is not my problem).

All of the HTPC interfaces, plus moxi and a few newer satellite dvrs are faster experiences by an order of magnitude. My faith in Tivo has been shaken by the inability for them to improve the performance to match the rest of the industry.

Of course DirecTV's dvr is... Well I would switch to some other service before I had to use that thing. The DirecTivo really needs to happen again for them. Move them up about 5-6 years from where that thing is now.

16. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I got the Premiere at launch over a year ago and originally had a couple freezes and slow HDUI, but within a month or so there was an update or two that seemed to solve these issues. Now it's been mostly trouble-free since.

I like the HD interface. It's not super-quick, but acceptable. Some of the deeper screens aren't HD, the ToDo list most noticeable. But it operates great as a DVR, and I don't mind the minimal advertising. Overall, very pleased with my TiVo Premiere, and it's much better than the Comcast DVR and the multiple DirecTV HR-2x's I've tried.

17. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    Faster than SD? I have a Fios DVR in the house as well as two Tivos and this makes me laugh. I will acknowledge that the HD interface is not super speedy, I time page down at a litttle over .5 sec, but the SD on the premiere is virtually instantaneous.

18. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    FIOs is offering their new 500gb DVR for 3 months free of charge around here.

It's not on the 1.9 update yet, but it is much more responsive than the Premiere interface.

19. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  20. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC