Premier HAS to have a cable card???

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by comcastblows, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1 of 38
    comcastblows

comcastblows New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I plan on trying to use a premier just for SD shows. Can I skip the hassle of dealing with TWC trying to screw me again (as I went through it with my HD tivo a couple years ago)?

From what I've seen on here, it looks like I will still be able to tune any SD channels without the cable card, correct? Will I still have the dual tuner aspect even if they're both in SD?

I guess my question is what what I be missing other than HD channels and channels that are only on SDT at this point?

I'm on the fence about just buying another series 2, or trying out a premier...

Thanks!

2. Aug 8, 2011 #2 of 38
    tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Got an antenna? You'll get networks in HD for nothing on both tuners. I'm talking about the Premiere.

3. Aug 8, 2011 #3 of 38
    GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    You'll get any analog SD channels without a cable card (with guide data).

You will have dual tuners.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #4 of 38
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    You MIGHT get networks with an antenna. Check your address here: www.tvfool.com and see what type on an antenna you would need for the channels you want. However, if you want any cable channels, you're either going to have to go with something like Hulu+ or cable. Check with TW, and tell them you ONLY want SD channels. You may or may not need a cable card. I know where I am (I have TW in Maine), even some of the SD channels require a a cable card and tuning adapter. Also, if you want any premium channels (HBO, Showtime), those are probably going to require a cable card, even for the SD versions.
    However, if you're going with TW, chances are, if you subscribe to Digital Cable, you're getting the HD channels for free anyway, so why NOT record those versions?
    Whether you need/use a cable card or not though, you will still be able to use both tuners at the same time.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #5 of 38
    comcastblows

comcastblows New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Well kick a55! Yeah, we are already paying for service on a cable card on our hd tivo... I just know that it took forever, like 8 trips, with TWC to get it set up correctlya few years back.

We don't really need more hd stuff, the premier would be used for sd channels anyway, so I figure why give TWC more money. If I don't need/have to get another cable card, then I won't bother.

So I'll still get two tuners with all the sd content. And it wouldn't be possible to maybe see OTA HD local stations if I hook up a hd antenna, right asking too much?

I guess if all else fails I guess I'll deal with paying TWC the extra few bucks a month, it just doesn't seem worth it with all the random black outs and tuning adapter resets. At least on my old series 2, I never missed a show in sd...

Thanks guys!!!

6. Aug 9, 2011 #6 of 38
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    The Tivo will record up to channel 100 without a cable card, one program that is...

I was told that soon there will be a card that can record up to 4 channels at a time plus allow the use of "On-demand channels"

Sounds like a whole new can o worms gonna open up thereafter, if this rumor pans out

7. Aug 9, 2011 #7 of 38
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The current M type cable card can record 6 channels, the limitation is the number of tuners in the TiVo, a new model TiVo may have 4 turners as some have discussed, and Comcast and TiVo are going to start testing on-demand using TiVo.

8. Aug 9, 2011 #8 of 38
    JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    It's 2011, who still watches content in standard def when HD is available?

This is a location-dependent question. You probably will be able to get free local HD from NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, PBS, etc. with an over the air (terrestrial) antenna assuming you don't live in BFE. As kturcotte recommended, go to www.tvfool.com and enter your address to see what local HD programming you have a reasonable chance of receiving.

You can post a link to your TV Fool results here if you want recommendations on what antenna should work for your location. TV Fool will mask your actual street address but give antenna reception results that are accurate enough to make a good recommendation for you. In most cases, if you are close enough to the big city to be wired for cable you may be able to get free HD with an over the air antenna. The Premiere does not need to have a cable card to get free HD.

9. Aug 9, 2011 #9 of 38
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    People who are not impressed with and don't really give damn about HD TV. The type that don't get all whiny when SD is the only option for a program.

10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Yep. My 85 year old mom can't tell the difference so doesn't care.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's not always about seeing the difference.

12. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    SD works fine...but you only see what your cableco provides to you in that format.

For us with Comcast, that equates to about 12 channels, nearly all local.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wrong, it will record two channels in analog (or digital OTA) without a cablecard too. The only confusion is with the *original* Series 3, you need TWO cablecards if you have any cable cards, or else you have a SINGLE tuner device, regardless of what source you are trying to record from.

I now even have a HDTV (very old CRT finally died). I record the SD versions, and would *often* choose the analog versions, simply for disk space reasons. I even have a 2 TB drive in my Tivo. If I were recording all HD, I couldn't keep tons and tons of stuff.

14. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    People with such poor visual acuity that they shouldn't be endangering others by driving on public roadways.

Seriously, if you can't appreciate the difference between fuzzy SD and modern HD broadcasts you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vessel or motor vehicle.:eek:

15. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    worse are those that try to multitask while driving... talkin on a call an driving is a mess whn your behind em

I've seen a gal doing 80 on the interstate reading a book, duh?

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am guessing that people who don't care much about HD TV actually don't care mush about TV in general and likely will have a small low end HD TV. I also think that it depends on the TV, how close you sit to it, and how good your eyes are how much someone will care about HD versus SD.

If you have a 32" HD TV, sit 15 feet away and have poor eye site I am sure SD is just fine.

However if you have a 60" HD TV, sit 8 feet away and have good eye site SD will look like sh**. If fact is will likely look significantly worse than it did on an old 32" CRT.

On my 50" set sitting about 12 feet away with good corrected vision, upscaled DVDs are fine but stuff still on my old Series 2 TiVos looks pretty bad and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

Thanks,

17. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    My 85 year old mother doesn't drive any more but she does enjoy TV like others who have poor vision. What is your point - other than being nasty?

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've seen people reading a newspaper and eating a bowl of ceral at the same time while driving down the road. I have no idea how they do it, but I get as far away as possible.

Earlier this year someone got arrested around here for driving down the highway, while having sex. Somehow they were driving but was also lying down with the upper portion of their body in the back seat.

19. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Yep, that would be us. LR TV is 52" Bravia with a 240hz refresh rate that we appreciate much for watching Blu-Ray discs, some self recorded, and viewing vacation photos. But as to most cable content, digital SD is fine. We don't video stream to any of our three, also TiVo equipped, flat panel displays either...too much bother for our viewing habit/needs. Also, no surprise, I could care less about my PXL's HD menus so no issue there either.

For the most part, satisfaction of our High Def experience requirements doesn't involve television screens.

20. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Both of us can see quite fine. Just because you can't comprehend some folk simply don't care doesn't make the rest of the world wrong....coupled with the snippy comments it just makes you a jerk.