Premier Hanging, HD Failure ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BH9244, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1 of 10
    BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009

Advertisements

My premier unit started behaving oddly today, while watching saved recording the playback would freeze and then the unit would reboot, after the reboot it would again work without incident for perhaps 15-20 mins then freeze again and reboot.

I now attempted powering down and restarting and the unit gets to the initial "just a few minutes more" screen then the display goes blank and it sounds as if the unit powers down although the green light remains illuminated. I'm guessing this is a hard drive failure of some type and I'm not sure that I don't hear some unusual noise coming from the drive as well.

If indeed that is the case I'm wondering whether purchasing a upgrade drive from Weaknees would be my most expediant way of getting back in business, the cost is comparable to buying a new premier XL unit but it's my understanding ( please correct me if I am mistaken ) that replacing the drive would not require a truck roll from Time Warner to re pair the M stream card.

Anything else I might want to try or have missed ?, Thanks for any help..

2. Nov 6, 2011 #2 of 10
    Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    You can change the HDD, It will NOT mess up to cable card.

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 10
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I can not say if it your hard drive is causing your problem or not. You can do some kick starts to check. Just search kick start
    If you have to change the hard drive you will have to have it repaired. You should be able to do that your self by calling cs.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 10
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you replace your hard drive with a preconfigured one from weaKnees or dvr_dude, you will have to get the CableCARD re-paired but it shouldn't require a truck roll. FCC regulations require them to support self-installs. Even telling you that a truck roll is necessary is a violation since they are required to inform you of the option. They are also required to provide an m-card.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #5 of 10
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

No, it will not "mess up" the cablecard, but it WILL have to be paired with the new hard drive.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #6 of 10
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Maybe it's the hard drive, maybe it's the power supply, maybe it's neither, you might want to figure out which before paying the cost of a new re-imaged drive.

7. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Thought I would update this problem, I went ahead and upgraded to a 1TB drive copying all data from the original stock 320 GB drive, the transfer and install went without incident but the unit continued to have the same issue. In my mind this eliminates a physical problem with the hard drive. At some point the TIVO software updated to 14.9.2.2 and from that point forward I have had no recurrance of the problem. As such I'm convinced the problem was somehow tied to the installed TIVO software..

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem/resolution.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Funny, a lot of people are reporting not having problems until they got that update.

9. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Within 24 hours of getting 14.9.2.2, my Premiere was locked up and showing an error message. I tried to power cycle it and it refused to boot up. The hard drive was an upgraded 2TB WD20EARS that had been in operation for ~4 months.

I pulled the drive, put back in the original, and the Premiere booted up just fine. I then ran WD Diagnostics, both quick and extensive, on the 2TB drive and it passed without error. So I repeated the process of building the 2TB from the original again. That all went without error as well.

Then I put the 2TB back into the Premiere and it booted up ok!

I think it's a reasonable conclusion that the data on the 2TB got scrambled rather than the drive had a hardware failure.

Been running for about a week now without any issues, but it wouldn't surprise me if the disk gets scrambled again.

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    It may have to be re-paired or it may not. I bought a pre-imaged Premiere drive just before the floods :D and the CableCard did not have to be re-paired. I was told in another thread that it was because I don't have any premium channels (like HBO). I do have an extra HD tier but that worked as well. It took at least 12 phones calls and 3 cards the first time I tried to get pairing done so I was delighted not to have to do it again.