Premier first setup ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Rkkeller, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I ordered the Premier unit and it should be here Tuesday. I was trying to get everything ready so things will go fast and smooth as possible. I am going to hook it up in the same room as an already existing TivoHD.

I have all the wires connected and ready to hook up, I have the M cablecard from Comcast ready but heard a few different things about initial setup.

I read somewhere that its better to setup the new Premier without the cablecard and let it run for 24 hours to update the software and download guide data and things like that. I also heard to just insert the cc and do it all at once. Any thoughts???? Its not going to kill me to set it up Tuesday and install the cc wed after work if thats better.

I also think I have to change the remote code so it doesn't work on the TiVo HD too.

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Really, I don't think it matters much, either way. Just remember that you will have to call your Cable provider to have the cable card re-paired after you move it. It does NOT require them to come to your home and SHOULD be a simple, 5 minute process on the phone.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I setup the Premier before the cable guy came out to bring the cable card. It wasn't possible to pickup the card and do the self install. the interactions suggest that you do the guided setup first so that when the cable guy shows up, you don't have to spend a log of time waiting around for guided setup to complete or at least get far enough so you can use the TiVo and test it out. But since you have the card and don't need to wait for the cable card, it ought to be OK to just stick the M card in there when you physically connect the TiVo

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I believe I'd install the card when it's requested in the guided set-up, Comcast in some areas has a separate "cable-card" channel line-up. My area does for sure.

I was transferring a card from another machine to the new machine and everything went well. I have no premiums so I disregarded the call for repairing and I've complete access to everything I subscribe to.

Will a "fresh card" have functionality without the call? I don't know. If it was attached to your account by the office when you picked it up, maybe!

The Tivo support mentions connecting it first for a couple days I believe but then in the install they mention doing it when when requested in the guided set-up. I believe their assumption is that the purchase is a "first" and you don't have the card in hand!

I assumed since you mentioned the HD that you're NOT transferring the card but have a "fresh" card in hand.

I would ignore the opening paragraph here and just proceed by the numbers!

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2126/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL2ZWNTlJaFBr

5. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Regards the remote. If the two TIVOs are in the same room -- how close together are they? You may have a problem. Changing the codes may not solve it.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    ?? why do you say that? I have 4 TiVos in the same AV Rack and 2 are stacked on top of each other no issues at all. Each TiVo has a separate remote code and only respond to a remote with that code (and of course a remote with code 0 which all units respond to).

The easiest way I found was to setup each unit with the other units unplugged that way you don't have any issues with a unit and a remote still set to 0.

Thanks,

7. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    Thanks, I think I will try to do it all at the same time then just let it update and everything overnight and on Wed play with it more. I heard some good and some bad so I am not sure what to expect from the Permier but looking forward to playing around.

I found some instructions on changing the TiVo HD remote code, so I am going to change it before the Premier comes. The Premier will be above the HD in the same unit.

FWIW, I am glad people brought up where the new Premier was going to go as while I ran all the wires already, I did not make room in my stand yet. :up: Would have really been stuck as I have a few things to rearrange. Going to do that today