Premier Elite - Record 3d HDTV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by deathpulse, Oct 12, 2011.

1. deathpulse

deathpulse New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Will the Tivo Elite record and play 3d content from FIOS?

2. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Sure, it does.

Joe

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    3D being broadcast for TV uses a simple trick of the normal signal to work. So anything that can record TV can also record 3D TV. Basically all they do is squeeze the two images side by side on the same frame. The TV then separates them, stretches them back out and displays them in time for each eye to see.

BluRay is the only format that uses a special encoding technique for 3D. BluRay uses an extension of the H.264 specification call MVC. Basically it has a primary stream encoded in 2D just like a normal movie. Then there is a secondary stream which contains the right eye information but is encoded using only B frames and the primary stream for reference frames. This allows it to basically contain two complete copies of the movie, one for each eye, but only take about 50%, or less, more space on the disc.

Dan

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The Premiere Elite is a Series 4 and will record the same way the Premiere non-Elite does.
    So a better way to ask the question would be:

"Can the Premiere record 3D programming?"

5. deathpulse

deathpulse New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Part of the question is will the content play back in 3d as it should. I don't see any details on the HDMI spec for the Elite (is it 1.4?)

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Doesn't matter. As I said 3D as broadcast via TV is just a trick of a normal signal. It does not require a specific HDMI spec. It's basically just a normal TV signal with two frames crammed side by side. Your TV does all the special processing to convert it to 3D.

Only BluRay requires HDMI 1.4 because it is actually transmitting a 120fps signal to the TV along with a timing signal to sync with the glasses.

Dan

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The 3D channels can also be top/bottom. but either way it will be recorded with no issues.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is true, the CableLabs spec calls for 1080i content to be side by side and 720p content to be top and bottom. However, AFAIK, all of the channels currently broadcasting 3D are 1080i and as such using side by side.

But either way it's still a normal TV signal with two images squished into the frame. All the processing happens at the TV itself so the device recoding has no bearing.

Dan

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    On FiOS here the ESPN 3D channel is top/bottom. But from what you said that makes sense because Disney Networks broadcast in 720P.

One day I'll get the adapter for my LED DLP set so it can convert the broadcast 3D to the checkerboard 3D format that DLP uses so I can finally watch something in 3D.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    If it is anything like any of the 3D TV images *I* have seen, I wouldn't bother. Perhaps my eyes are more sensitive, but the flicker was unbearable on every model I saw.