premier audio out hdmi is dead

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by newsposter, Sep 11, 2020.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

All the sudden sound does not come from my Premier. So far I have changed HDMI cables I have changed the inputs on the TV and I have changed every audio setting on the TiVo that I could think of. The TiVo is hooked directly to the TV since day one when i got the tv in november and since Roku has sound out of the same input I can rule out the inputs on the tv has being faulty.

Also mute is off.

I have rebooted multiple times. In order to get it to work I was able to hook up digital from the TiVo to my soundbar. But previously I had that digital coming out of my TV and into the soundbar so I do not think this is a permanent work around. I have to think about why i set it up like that initially. It's a shame that $2,000 for a TV does not buy you component anymore or even RCA jacks so I'd have that as an alternate.

but the main concern is why no audio thru hdmi? is the input something user serviceable?

i must have a premier as i heavily use pytivo to transfer from computer to tivo and i know of no other machine that will do this. only other source is OTA.

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Actually Roamio and Bolt allow transfers from Tivo to computer and back. If you are running the classic TE3 OS (which is what the Premiere uses). If running TE4 Hydra can transfer to computer but not back to Tivo.

Can't answer audio question, other than have you tried HDMI from Premiere to another TV? If it works it's not the Premiere. It was working before with same setup (since day 1?), just stopped now, no changes made? If it is the Premiere gone bad you can buy lifetime Premieres used for under $100 or a bit more depending on model. Lifetime Roamios used under $200 usually, Bolt, well I don't recommend Bolt for multiple reasons but just my opinion.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ugh maybe it is the tv. sounds works thru another tv and turns out roku sound was being fed thru the sound bar. when i directly put roku in tv, no sound. at least i dont need a new premiere :)

oh its torture. the tv has a sound test and it played fine.

edit: conclusion...turns out i have a reset feature. held power in for 5 seconds..turn turns off a minute then back on..fixed it..

carry on

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    HerronScott and tommage1 like this.