Premier and green circles

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Stormydog, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    This just started happening for the last two days and still going on.
    When trying to use the tivo HD menus, I get green circle after pressing any button. The remote will not do anything else until the green circle goes away. I know the HD menu is trying to contact internet for information to display, but it finally gets to the Play option and takes me back to tv menu.

I switched menus to SD and can do what I want. I thought putting Tivo in standby overnight would clear Tivo out of the problem, but it is still there. I am a little hesitant to unplug tivo (seems to do it every once in a while). Wonder if anyone has had this problem and how to get rid of it without unplugging, unless I have to. Seems unplugging can become the universal fix it for Tivo.

I have 3 other computers on my network and they have no problem accessing the internet, just tivo.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You could do a restart (look under help in HDUI) using the TiVo menus which is pretty close to pulling the plug. Of course you need to restart it when you will not need it for at least 10 minutes.

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Are you sure it is a network problem? I usually get a message on the screen about network not available when mine is having problems connecting.

One thing that fixed most of my network problems was changing the network configuration to use a static IP rather than getting one from the router with DHCP. My router logs showed that the tivo would never renew the lease, so after a while my router would think it was dead and stop talking to it.

4. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    Can't say for sure, but this is exactly the problem I had when my premiere lost it's internet connection. Have you done network connectivity tests to make sure you can reach the internet from the TiVo?

5. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I have not tried network tests specifically. Are you talking about hooking up a pc to that internet connection? I did go into Setup and saw some real time feedback on the screens. I don't remember which setup option, I am not by my Premier. Anyway, values changed on screen, so I kind of thought internet connection was working, but no specific test.

I have received many a time the on screen message that there is no internet connection. Sometimes I change menus and go back and internet connection is there. I do not get that message, but there are no pictures on the Discovery bar except for one partial on the extreme left.

The suggestion to use Setup to soft boot is something I thought of but forgot when I turned Premier off last night. I will try it tonight if it still does it. I now feel you guys are correct, it is limited to the communication with my premier, maybe the static ip thing or something scrambled its connection info. Two weeks ago I had to reboot a DTA that is on a splitter.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will advise on what I find tonight.

6. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    When I turned Premier on I immediately went into Setup and did the soft reboot. Then was able to use Premier. I can only assume the reboot cleared it out as I did not want to watch any more green circles.

7. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    This happens with my unit when atempting to use the HD menu, so as a result was forced to revert to the SD menu. This has been an issue since day one this past January