Premier and Apple TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ame8199, Nov 25, 2014.

1. ame8199

ame8199 New Member

Nov 23, 2014

Advertisements

I just bought a used premier with lifetime service on eBay. Will be delivered Wednesday.

I'm trying to discover all the other features of the device besides just recording. I'll be using it for antenna tv. I have an Apple TV as well. Will tivo replace my Apple TV? I saw you can stream Netflix on the TiVo...but then again you probably can't stream everything in iTunes either like Apple TV.

Don't want to give up my Apple TV, I was just curious.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You can not access itunes content from a premiere.

3. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    They are different animals with a bit of overlap. You can use Netflix and Youtube on both but the Apple TV UI for both is much better, plus you have other Apple devices, you have Home sharing, photostream and iTunes etc.

I have Tivo, Apple TV and Roku and use all three

4. ame8199

ame8199 New Member

Nov 23, 2014
    no problem, Guess I'll explore all the features when I get it

5. gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013

Advertisements

The Premiere interface for Netflix and youtube are slow, slow...with not many features, remote buttons operable etc imo. I would assume the ATV would be much better for this.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    runs fine for me!

7. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Two different products, two different use cases. In addition to game consoles, I have an XL4, a Roku, an Apple TV, and an HTPC. And the Amazon FireTV stick is coming soon too.

8. wblynch

wblynch Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Mission...
    I consider the Netflix interface on the Tivo Premiere as the second worst ever.
    The one on the Tivo HD being the worst.

I can't even use Netflix on my Tivo HD anymore since it requires the Instant Queue to operate and Netflix has eliminated the Instant Queue.

Besides the many times I've had a Tivo freeze and reboot while using Netflix; messing up my live recordings.

I have found Netflix on any other "smart" device is superior. I'm going to try a ChromeCast on the one TV connected to the Tivo HD.