1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preferred TA Connect Method

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by missingwings, Jun 20, 2018.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    The Spectrum website states the following:

To install your Tuning Adapter, first make sure the CableCARD™ is installed and activated. Then follow these steps:
    1. Connect the cable from the wall to cable in on the tuning adapter.
    2. Connect a cable from cable out on the tuning adapter to cable in on the TiVo.
    3. Connect the power cord to the tuning adapter.
    4. When the light is solid (has stopped flashing) connect the USB cable from the back of the tuning adapter to the TiVo.

Regarding step 2, is this the preferred connection method or is it better (as has been suggested elsewhere) to use a splitter to connect the TA and the TiVo each with their own separate cables.

2. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    That might work fine as long as you don't want/need MoCA support. If you have a MoCA network, the Tuning Adapter will almost surely block MoCA signals.

3. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm not sure how to interpret your response - I should have been more clear and complete with my posted question. I will have a MoCA network, with a MoCA filter in the Spectrum incoming signal line and another at the input to the TA to isolate my MoCA network from the rest of the Spectrum components. With that clarification in mind, which is better: [1] a splitter with one leg feeding the TA (through a MoCA filter), and with the other leg feeding the TiVo -OR- [2] the way that Spectrum suggests in their step 2, above? I'm leaning toward the first option, based on a couple people on this forum recommending that a few months back. But, when I read the Spectrum instructions, it introduced some uncertainty. I'm definitely not pushing for option 2, I'm just trying to pin this down.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I use the Spectrum-recommended method but I have seen many posts on this forum strongly recommending the splitter method -- can't remember why.

Also, if you delay connecting the USB cable until the TA light is solid, as Spectrum instructs, I would expect you will see 6-blinks-pause, since that is what the TA light does when there is no communication with the TiVo over the USB cable. Note: I'm assuming the Cisco/SA TA in saying this.

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Loss through Moto TA is close to 90%. Add a filter on the TA input like you said, and Moca loss will be 100%. Bad idea all around. I've also seen Spectrum documents that say use a splitter, if that makes you feel better. Cisco TA loss is closer to 50%, same as a splitter.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What snerd said.

If the TiVo DVR will be doing MoCA (whether just a client or the main MoCA bridge), then it must NOT be connected via the Tuning Adapter's STB Out/RF pass-through port; a MoCA-compatible splitter should be used to connect both devices directly to the coax, and a 75-ohm terminator should be used to cap the TA's unused pass-through port. A MoCA filter can then optionally be installed on the TA's coax input to protect the TA from MoCA signals, and vice versa. (more info here)

Bottom line: Spectrum's instructions don't take MoCA into consideration.

tim1724 likes this.
  7. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    This is exactly correct. I'm on Spectrum near Charlotte. Cisco TA's block Moca. The only connection between TA and the Tivo should be the USB connection.

randywalters likes this.
  8. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Just use a good-quality splitter. There's no reason not to and multiple reasons why you should.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    This works for us in Florida (Brighthouse/Charter/Spectrum) with a moca adapter on the cable inside to router:

Cable -> 2 way splitter -> splitter to tuning adapter -> tuning adapter USB to TIVO
    -> splitter to TIVO

TIVO support a couple of years ago told me to change all my splitters to higher frequency than normally used by cable companies. Something about Moca error checking. I did that and the frequent problems I was having went away! For a trivial investment in upgraded splitters, I was happy!

I still reboot everything once a month to resolve unknown problems in losing the Mini supplied by moca enable cable.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018