Prefered Universal Remote for Tivo users?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by atomarchio, Jun 27, 2010.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006

Advertisements

Have Series3 HD and our family loves the Tivo Glo remote. We've had it for a while and it's getting quite beat up. To the point where it no longer "glows" anymore.

Would like to know if anyone has a preferred Universal Remote for a die-hard Tivo user? Something that can control my Sony Receiver and DVD player would be a plus.

It does not appear that Tivo has anything new in this area. Any suggestions what I should look at?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  3. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have a 880 and never use it. The buttons are too small for me. I should have found it locally to try it in my hand before ordering it on line and going by every's great reviews of it.

4. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Harmony is probably the best series of remotes to look at. I have the H569, which is peanut shaped and glows.

What is cool about Harmony remotes is that they are simple to program because you use your computer to do the programming via a usb cable connection.

5. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006

Advertisements

I don't like the Harmony ones either because of the small buttons. Too bad Tivo did'nt come out with an "all-in-one" solution similar to the size/shape of their remote.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I have a Harmony 880. Great programmability, graphics for key icons are too busy so hard to read, and Harmony prices seem high (but compared to what?). I don't know a better choice for the money.

Two previous posters have knocked Harmony but haven't suggested any alternative. :confused:

7. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    I have the "One" and the buttons are perfect for me. No where near the 880 or any other Harmony remote I know of.

8. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I have the Harmony One and it's very Tivo-like and easy to use. There are raised bumps on the 30-second skip and 8 second go back buttons and the general layout is similar to the peanut. It's also "wife approved" and that is a hard hurdle. It got rid of a lot of remotes and it's easy to press one button to "Watch TV" or "Play a DVD" and have the thing turn on all the right components and switch them to the right inputs. The thing works. One off button turns it all off too. Great remote. I saw a wall of them when you walk into Costco near the new TV gauntlet you have to pass through just to get in the store. I'm sure it's the same where you live.

9. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

Use the regular remote? What a concept!!! :up:

10. Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    I've had 3 different Harmony remotes. The first two never replaced the TiVo peanut, I always used both of them. I just didn't like the button placement for the typical TiVo commands.

Then I got the Harmony One and it's now the only remote I use. The standard TiVo buttons are right where I want them.

11. dallastx

dallastx Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I agree that the Harmony One is the best replacement for a TiVo remote. I find that I can operate it without looking at it just like the TiVo remote. I eliminated the need for the screen buttons by mapping the following functions:
    'Menu' --> 'TiVo'
    'Exit' ---> 'LiveTv(Live TV)'
    'Plus' ---> 'Clear'
    'Up Arrow' ---> 'DirectionUp'
    'Down Arrow' ---> 'DirectionDown'

The up and down arrows weren't necessary because they're alrady on buttons.

12. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    I have a Harmony 880. I do agree the buttons are too small and overall the feel of the thing for some reason just doesn't feel right.. so I use my Tivo remotes most of the time.

What is nice about the 880 and all Harmony remotes though.. is that it can do anything ya want.. including Macros (Pause without banner,etc). So I generally use my Harmony on Sundays during sporting events to avoid throwing my Tivo remotes against the wall.

13. urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    I have the Harmony 676 for the Series 1 and the 880 for the TiVoHD. I like them both. I do wish the 880 had the "rubberized" feel the 676 does.

14. thomb

thomb Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm a big fan of Universal Remote Control Inc.'s remotes. One of the best purchases I've made is the MX-700. I think that model has been superceded by later models. remotecentral.com is a good place for remote information.

15. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    harmony 680

16. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Harmony. I have a Harmony One but could get by with one of their sub $100 units. I think they even have a $50 unit that will control up to 4 devices.

17. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    THIS. My TiVo remote is as fast as reading my mind.

And it has to be the original two unit TiVo remote that has the Select key under the disk and the TV power at the top where God intended it to be. None of the various messes that DirecTV made or the Glo-Remotes with Select inside the disk.

Any except the first one:
    http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-accessories/tivo-remote/index.html

18. JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    I use a Harmony One that I just upgraded from the Harmony 880(it got moved to the Master Bedroom).
    The TiVo remove, while it is an excellent remote, just cannot control all of the equipment I need it to control. When I sit down to watch TV, I need to turn on the Receiver and switch it to the TiVo input, turn on the TV (fortunately everything comes from the receiver to the TV via HDMI), and wake the TiVo out of standby. I'd have to use at least 2 remotes for that and cycle through inputs on the receiver, why do that when the Harmony can send a discrete code to switch to the proper input?

19. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    This - I've used both the MX-700 and the harmony remotes and IMO there is no comparison - I would pay for a MX remote before I'd take a free harmony. I appear to be in the minority though as there is a lot of harmony love in the air here :)

Check out the site referenced above - it's full of information.

20. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    I have 2 Mx500s and a Harmony and I prefer the Harmony but not all the time. I use the MX's to turn on and off the system; their macro handling is better than Harmony's, in my opinion. The key feel and weight is much better on the Harmony but the MX has a much stronger ir emitter.