Preacher - 2017 Season 2 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1 of 40
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

Started a season 2 thread - I'm really enjoying this season thus far...

I really cannot wait for the next episode (4) to see where they are going with their concept of hell.

The jazz singer - I don't recall the actress' name but it was amazing to not recognize her in the blonde wig.

2. Jul 4, 2017 #2 of 40
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    The singer is Lara Featherstone played by Julie Ann Emery.

I was not impressed with the first 2 episodes. Particularly the 2nd one, where they went through all that trouble when all Jesse had to do was go up to the angel and use Genesis-power to say "Call off the contract with the Saint of Killers".

But the 3rd episode seems like things are getting back on track. We have a super-secret crypto-religious fascist organization with designs on total world domination looking into the disappearance of God, an agent of that organization who is also a jazz singer who seduces men and asks them about state capitals, and we even get to see a flashback to what really happened to Eugene and the girl with the shotgun. Plus, Preacher learns that the song "Walk to the Peak" that God is apparently enamored of is about the end of the world. Things are looking up! And then Tulip gets captured in a laundromat by a bunch of Viktor's henchmen.

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I've rather enjoyed this season and am surprised there is little chatter about it. I'd say it probably hasn't lived up to S1's standard yet but some of S1 was dull in retrospect. Things do seem disjointed like with Cassidy's decision to save his son and things like that are seemingly glossed over. I do enjoy the little things though like Cassidy "frying" up his meals and Tulip's understandable obsession with the bullet holes. I really loved the whole BRAD thing and seeing another celebrity wiped out. It was really dumb on a reality level but enjoyable nonetheless. I kind of want to see a battle between Saint and Herr Starr.

4. whoknows55

whoknows55 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2001
    I'm enjoying the show but I rarely post/read in season long threads due to timeshifting.

I wasn't enamored with brad but I'm really liking this season overall. I do wonder how long it will be till Arseface gets out of hell.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

I was struck by the thought that, as far as I can recall, the only thing in the most recent episode that actually came from the comic was Herr Starr accidentally hiring and being sodomized by a male prostitute (and then discovering that he doesn't actually mind all that much).

Of all the things for them to leave in, I would have thought that would have been the last, much less the only. :D

And yet overall, it still remains very true to the spirit of the comic. I'm enjoying it.

6. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I never read the comic but when those dudes walked in my wife and I had to hit pause we were laughing so much because it was painfully obvious how that was going to play out. Loved the whole "no means yes" thing and the look on Herr Starr's face which was a comical bit of mild annoyance.

7. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    "Dirty Little Secret" was enjoyable. It didn't seem like much was going on but the show felt like it breezed by in 5 minutes. Tulip seems to have lost her mind. Spackle another hole Tulip, you'll be OK. Just keep your mouth shut, please. Herr Starr almost recounting his, uh, incident to Jess was great. I think at this point he must be aware of the anagram. Loved the shadow play near the beginning. Jesus!

8. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Woah, we have not seen the comic but the story is pretty crazy, even with the 25th generation jesus.
    My wife figured he'd be "special" before he showed his nature ...
    we're getting close to the end of season 2!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    The show is brilliant - yet I am bored half the time and enthralled the other half.
    I was kindof hoping the season was only 10 episodes - what does that say? LOL

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I wish Denis would get off my television. He probably has a significant role to play in future episodes but right now, he sucks. No pun intended.

IDSmoker likes this.
  11. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    What's the word folks? Its just 1 Episode to go now
    S2, Ep13 - 11 Sep. 2017-The End of the Road

12. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I was not so thrilled by this season TBH. The first season was amazing, this one kind of dragged. I so want them to get out of NO and drop the baggage (like Denis). Maybe because I thought it would turn into a kind of on-the-road show and so that's what I was expecting, but once they settled down everything got blah.

There have been some great moments and I'm still watching (excited to see what happens with the prison break) but it's definitely dropped a number of spots in my personal "must see" TV list.

IDSmoker likes this.
  13. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    The last two eps Back Door and On Your Knees have been sort of slow with a few good moments. Otherwise I enjoyed the season and hope for a strong finish.

14. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    I loved S1, but I'm losing interest now. I'm two behind and may not finish this season.

15. IDSmoker

IDSmoker Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Boise, ID
    While I agree that this season really slowed down in the middle, I thought the last episode managed to redeem it. At least they got rid of Denis!

Really looking forward to seeing more about Jesse's mother's family.

And I really hope we get some sort of Hitler cameos, like season 1's Tom Cruise running gag going on in the background of various scenes.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Man, that Hitler really turned out to be a jerk! Who knew?!?

Family likes this.
  17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was about to give up on the show and then realized there was only 1 episode left.
    The season finale was better than the rest - I think next season I may just save them up and binge watch (and by binge watch, I mean fast forward through some of it).

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I was kind of auto-piloting through it as I mentioned before, but I did like the finale. However, they never showed what happened to Featherstone... surely Tulip didn't MISS with her screwdriver? That would be so un-Tulip-like.

And yay for Denis-kabob! I liked that ending very much, it was all well-done...

19. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    I enjoyed season one and two, this is the best adaptation of a graphic novel, I seen that has not been on say HBO or Cinimax. The music in the show use very well. LOL when God came out of the bathroom after tinkleing. God tinkle. :)

20. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Binged S2 over the last week. Definitely did not dig it. Was glad it ended. I cared more about the dog the last few episodes than the people. Denis was a complete waste of time. Hitler running off at the end was pretty hysterical though (as was Eugene's response).