Preacher - 2016 Season 1 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by john4200, Jul 25, 2016.

1. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009

Advertisements

There does not seem to be enough traffic to justify individual episode threads for Preacher (2016), so let's use this season thread to discuss the season.

My next post will be talking about the most recent episode, S01E09 "Finish the Song", aired on 2016-July-24. But there have been two individual episode threads so far:

S01E01 "Pilot" 2016-Jun-23 :
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=540744&highlight=preacher

S01E06 "Sundowner" 2016-July-03 :
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=541701&highlight=preacher

2. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    S01E09 "Finish the Song" 2016-July-24

That was quite an episode. I thought they had already cranked up the nutso as far as it could go, but with this episode I see that this one goes to 11.

Before this episode, I was having a hard time following those flashback scenes to the Cowboy, but I thought that was just because the scenes are relatively short and separated by weeks. But now I see that the whole setting was intentionally a little off, since it was Cowboy's own private Hell. I still don't understand why there were a bunch of Indians hanging in a tree in the middle of nowhere or why those bar patrons killed that family, but I guess we can just write that off to being in some weird mini-Hell dimension.

Where the hell was that Distant Vistas travel agency that the angels visited to get a bus ticket to Hell? If you read the ticket they got, it is rather amusing. She really did list his occupation as "Serial Killer", the ticket class was "Nimrod", "beverage NOT included", and the pickup location was "at the dam".

I'm not sure if Emily was always crazy, or if she just went crazy in the last week or so. Clearly the mayor was a gadfly who she barely tolerated, and I would even go so far to say that brown noser deserved to die (for helping and enabling Quincannon's murdering), but I would never have expected Emily to kill him. She just lured the mayor into Cassidy's pen, locked the door behind him, and then went outside and released the bunny rabbits while Cassidy feasted. And that was not long after Emily told Tulip that the mayor was her boyfriend. Before this episode, Emily seemed like a level-headed, kind person whose only real foible was her infatuation with the Preacher. Now she looks like a psychopath. Or maybe she was channeling Nora and she was able to empathize with the hungers of a vampire.

I thought Quincannon's right-hand man permanently damaged his hearing last episode, judging from the bleeding from his ears, but this episode he seemed to be back to normal hearing.

When the girl angel asked the Sheriff to kill her, I expected him to shoot her in the head or maybe grab that sword and cut her throat. But he actually strangled her while looking into her eyes as she died? WTF? It seems he may have more of an enjoyment of killing than most people would like to see in a lawman.

Was I the only one yelling "at least get a left and a right" at the screen when the Preacher was getting the hand Cassidy dug up? Or better yet, bring the phone to the grave and keep trying hands until it works. Some people just exhibit poor planning.

So the angels are going to have the Preacher murdered by Cowboy. In this town, it seems even the angels are evil. If they had any decency, they might have at least looked for Arseface while they were there. I am beginning to wonder if the entire season so far has actually been in a mini-Hell dimension. But then you would have a miniature Hell dimension inside of another mini-Hell dimension. Hmmmm.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    This show is exactly the kind of thing I love. I never know what in the hell (heh) will happen next! I feel a little proud of myself because right at the end of the first flashback series when the storm was rolling in, I said "I wonder if this is hell, and he's just reliving it over and over". My wife scoffed... right! For once! Hah! I think personally that this really happened, or at least some semblance of it really happened, and that's why he has to relive it.

Emily was watching that movie on TV talking about how people are born to be a certain way, etc. and I guess she just decided she didn't want to do that anymore, and decided to make a clean break of things... and how handy to have a hungry vampire in the next room to help her out!

Donnie's hearing is still not right: in the scene with Quincannon he couldn't hear what Quincannon was saying clearly. Don't know if it's permanent or not.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Guinea Pigs. She had submitted the rabbit earlier.

There was a scene this episode in the office where he couldn't hear Quincannon. It confused me because I had forgotten about his deafness.

She had already been seen by someone else; shooting her with his own gun or cutting her throat and getting splattered would be a serious problem for the sheriff.

Pretty sure it's the angelic nature of the hands that's important, not their chirality. In any case they could always go back for more.

I suspect that in this universe, all angels are dicks. Somehow I don't think the Cowboy will succeed, given the title of the show.

See your previous comment for the answer to this. They don't have any motive for rescuing *******.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I don't care how angry you are Cowboy dude. Don't shoot the whores.

6. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    I'm not sure which reality is hell?

7. R1elvis

R1elvis Member

May 16, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Took me two episodes to get into this.. now im hooked. Great show.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    This. It felt like Psycho, with Anthony Perkins talking about everyone being in their own trap (a movie I've not yet seen, so maybe not?). I believe Emily had a realization that her trap was ending up with the mayor, which she eventually described as "cool" to Tulip, while not really even convincing herself.

I had 3-4 episodes of this series stacked up on my TiVo, and just got done binging. It's a good show that keeps my attention, with continual (but subtle?) WTF factor built in. :up:

9. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    When a not-crazy person realizes that, they break up with their boyfriend. Murdering your boyfriend would be the crazy way to do it.

10. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Well, technically, she really didn't murder the guy. It was the vampire. :D

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    "Technically it wasn't he who killed him, nor the gun. It was that bullet that actually was the murderer." No, I don't think so.

Besides which, the vampire (a) was in a mental state unable to form intent and therefor unable to commit the crime of murder, and (b) had no soul and hence unable to commit the sin of murder.

12. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Well, Cassidy needed fed and she didn't want to kill the guinea pigs. So what else was she going to do?

13. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I would have gotten him some live fish. Lamprey and candiru would be interesting. Maybe some fat leeches for desert.

14. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Too bad she couldn't lure Quincannon or Donnie.

15. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Damn, I have no idea what to say. That was... off the wall.

Are we to think all that made it out of Annville is Cowboy and Seraph (Susan)? Though perhaps those killed at the hand of Cowboy are permanently dead (DeBlanc and Seraph). I would guess Fiore survived if he was still around.

No idea where they are going to go with this next year. I'm looking forward to re-watching S1 as a marathon before S2 starts next year.

16. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I was actually thinking he should get 2 lefts (or rights), one of them is a demon after all, right? Maybe his hand doesn't work.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In many ways, the TV show has now gotten to the point where the comic book started. In the comic book, before the first issue Genesis hit Jesse; the trauma of the event destroyed the church and killed the entire congregation; Jesse's faith was shaken; and Jesse, Tulip, and Cassidy decided to go on a road trip to track down God and make him answer for himself.

The Sheriff and Quincannon were minor characters, who were each around for one story (at different points in the narrative).

The back-story for Jesse and Tulip was completely different (not them as a couple, although that was somewhat different, but their earlier lives separately).

There is almost nothing that happened in the TV show that also happened in the comic book, and yet it has mostly managed to maintain the look-and-feel and the spirit (cough) of the comic.

There are, however, a lot of truly gonzo elements of the comic that have not made it into the show. If you think this is crazy, you should read the comic! :D

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Saint of Killers (the cowboy who finally shows up in Annville at the end of the finalé).

18. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Preacher uses Genesis on him. Maybe tell him to go to Hell, find Arseface and bring him back.

19. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    LOL. Would make for a quick resolution to that plot line. Perhaps Fiore advised him to wear earplugs. You know, for Genesis and that big honkin' .45. :)

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    There was a final shot of the season, of Fiore getting dropped back off from the airport shuttle, and his travel chest was still there on the pavement.

DeBlanc wasn't with him, so we don't know whether Cowboy dishes out Angel perma-death or not.

However, it's definitely true that none of Annville's citizens survived: they're all dead. I find that really poignant, with all those scenes of how people reacted to losing their faith, at whatever level they had it... and then bam, they're all dead anyway.