Pre-Roll Ads / Tivo+ / Signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nony_ID, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018

Advertisements

I know I'm late to the (complaint) party, but the pre-roll ads hit our TiVos (four Roamio Pros) back in April & are causing nothing but problems here. We've sadly had too much going on for me to investigate until now that my hubby is ready to start smashing things. I have questions :)

First, in searching the forum, it looks like I can contact TiVo to have them remove the pre-roll ads - is that correct? Any particular tips to use when calling/chatting?

Second, is it possible to have the TiVo+ crappola removed from the Guide & if so, how?

Third, over the past 48 hours, we've "lost" channels on all our TiVos - when going to them, we're getting "Searching for a signal on this channel . . . V52," which we've never seen before. Ever. I've followed the steps suggested when pressing OK/SELECT -- nothing is resolving the problem on any of the TiVos. Any idea what's going on & how to resolve? The channels are coming in fine with the cable box but this issue is on all 4 TiVos. It's mostly premium channels (not all of them, though) with a couple of other random standard channels. We have Spectrum (former TWC) and no tuning adapters required in this market. It just seems odd that this hit all 4 TiVos at the same time while the cable box remains fine.

TIA for any help!

Noelmel likes this.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How do you know you don't need tuning adapters (I think you do).

3. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018
    We've had our TiVos for almost 2 years -- had Moxis for years before that -- and have never needed them. This is a rural market that doesn't use SDV‍♀️

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may need them now.

5. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018

Advertisements

Just got off the phone with Spectrum -- nothing has changed & still no TAs needed here. They were no help other telling me to contact TiVo since the problem is confined to the TiVos. Deep sigh.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. Noelmel

Noelmel Active Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    To get the pre roll ads removed is easy. I didn’t wanna call so did online chat took less than 2 min. They don’t seem to even ask why or care lol but I told them every time it was crashing my Roamio (which is was) ! They’ll say it’ll take 48 hours mine were gone in less than 12 w a reboot. There’s nothing you can do about the TiVo + channels unfortunately.

Now I’m also a former TWC area now Spectrum and a few months ago my E! Channel started having the v52 error and not recording things. I do however use a tuning adaptor but it doesn’t seem related. I’ve checked and tightened all the wires and connections. Rebooted and unplugged tons of times can’t figure it out. Some days it randomly just works some days it doesn’t. On the Spectrum app the channel comes in fine so I know it’s not on Spectrums end and they didn’t change anything with that channel. So idk about that still so if you find a solution let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Thank you! Supposedly, the pre-roll ads will be gone in 72 hours - fingers crossed!

The missing channels - no luck yet. Deep sigh. Spectrum told me to contact TiVo since the problem is confined to the TiVos. TiVo told me go to MENU > HELP > RESET TO DEFAULTS > REPEAT GUIDED SETUP. It didn't. Grrr. I moved the cable box to one of the TiVo locations & swapped them out with the same results -- the channels come in fine through the cable box.

Called Spectrum again (day crew - who knows) - I explained the swap results & they confirmed again nothing has changed on their end, so it must be something to do with the TiVos. I asked if maybe something had changed with the CableCARDs that could be resolved by swapping them out - he said CableCARDs rarely go belly up & the fact that this is happening on all four TiVos but not with the cable box swap means it's a TiVo issue.

I hate not understanding what the problem is so I know exactly whose feet need to be held to the fire.

Troubleshooting suggestions to figure out where the problem is will be greatly appreciated!

Noelmel likes this.
  8. sirfergy

sirfergy Member

May 18, 2002
    Hmm... chat said the same thing to me but they never went away. I guess I can ask again, because for some reason the resolution switch on the preroll ads crashes my TV.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Is it the resolution? Here, it seems like the TiVo crash or freeze or hang (depending on who knows what) mostly happens when it the pre-roll ad hangs. Or, sometime the ad will play but then the TiVo will reboot or freeze. And it’s just gotten worse & worse as time has gone on, particularly when watching something recorded on one TiVo on another. It’s beyond ridiculous & I’m counting the dang hours!

Noelmel likes this.
  10. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Downgrade to TE3 and you won't have a problem with ads or the Tivo+ junk in the guide.

Your channel issue may be a Cablecard mapping problem at Spectrum, i.e. they screwed something up and mapped those channels to bad freqs or PIDs. Or it's a signal issue coming into your house. Either way it's on their end, but getting them to fix it is likely to be a major pain.

Noelmel likes this.
  11. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I have spectrum - when I was getting ads - before removed via chat with TIVO - if I hit the skip button too soon (while the arrow was still showing vs. when the ad started) my system would crash. I know it is a pain to see any of it but try waiting a bit before hitting the skip.
    The chat lead to removal of all except before the nightly Jeopardy show. But I can live with that rather than fooling around again. Why 1 show??