Pre-roll ads have inappropriate content, too, so make your voice heard

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by heyadam, Sep 23, 2019.

What different ads have you seen?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. See something, say something--government

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. McAfee--technology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Homestreet Bank--financial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019

Advertisements

My 4 year old son and my 6 year old daughter sat down to watch NFL Football and nick jr. recordings yesterday afternoon. They were shocked to see a subway train speeding through NYC with the frantic "See something, say something" that talks about terrorists, bombs and suspicious packages in the pre-roll ad. Then, on the second show, they saw the same campaign but people playing in a park, feeling threatened from all sides.

My kids mouths were wide open. They were frightened.

I already called TiVo customer supports to opt-out of the ads and was given a case number and told to wait 72 hours.

Please also voice your concern that these ads are troubling to many audiences--my kids asked me "what are terrorists?" Unacceptable.

Not only is TiVo violating customer's goodwill with this egregious move but it is potentially inflicting emotional harm on their audience. It seems that they are being indiscriminate about which ads they are serving and using a blunt instrument to serve them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Kim McCavit, JandS, Mikeguy and 5 others like this.
  2. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Certainly opens maybe a completely different set of circumstances to be considered! I don't have a Bolt with TE4 but I'd think you'll get much response. An option for 'OTHER' and mentioning which! Any hint as to the source for what you've observed?

3. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Thank you for the suggestions WVZR1. I added "Other" to the poll. Strangely, I have only seen the "See something, say something" ads everywhere. They are definitely untargeted. :p

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Please, dear heaven, no political campaign ads. I will pay TiVo to embargo them.

compuguy, aaronwt, heyadam and 2 others like this.
  5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...

Advertisements

See Something, Say Something aren't inappropriate. That campaign is one of a gazillion things done to keep NYC safe, as it is a huge terrorist target. That being said, ads don't belong on our TiVos.

compuguy, fcfc2, aaronwt and 2 others like this.
  6. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Oh, I am with you. These ads serve a very important purpose, for sure. However, I didn't think my children were the right audience. The main point was that the ads are indiscriminately applied.

Obviously, I object to TiVo adding ads to devices I already have paid for and are in continuing service, too. :)

Tom Curd and Noelmel like this.
  7. WhenenRome

WhenenRome Member

Nov 13, 2010
    At the risk of veering off-topic, and I ask with a little humor: Had you been around many kids before you had yours?

Because if that question honestly meets the level of "unacceptable," you may be setting yourself up to have your mind blown in the future.

compuguy, Bigg, CloudAtlas and 3 others like this.
  8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I still can't believe they're doing this. What a sh*tty money grab. Thanks Rovi for taking a product we all loved and driving it straight into the ground. :thumbsdown:

compuguy, pj1983, Chuck_IV and 3 others like this.
  9. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Nothing wrong with the ad. It's being forced on you that is the problem.

aaronwt, dianebrat and Noelmel like this.
  10. Tom Curd

Tom Curd New Member

Sep 23, 2019
    The day ads show up on my tivo will be the day I cancel my service. If I wanted ads i will watch regular tv and save some money

Noelmel likes this.
  11. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    @WhenenRome Hah! You are right. I can laugh it off. But, Mom was not happy.

@tampa8 Yes, forced on me and not filtered. For example, that ad should probably not have shown up before "Dora the Explorer" on nick jr for my 3 year old.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    And NFL Football is benign? OK then.

compuguy, Bigg, CloudAtlas and 3 others like this.
  13. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Hey, @TiVo_Ted, you know what would aid in more effective ad targeting, and hopefully prevent the OP scenario ... ???

User profiles!

(Though hopefully the ad mechanism was at least built to consider the current parental controls setting.)

compuguy, Bigg, Noelmel and 1 other person like this.
  15. shannon94188

shannon94188 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    I've seen that Say Something ad a bunch of times, thankfully without kiddo watching with me. I try to jump on that skip button ASAP, but I did notice an Amazon Prime video ad start up but I didn't watch the whole thing.

16. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    @shannon94188 Yeah, it happens sometimes on Netflix (some adult show when it starts in my profile instead of the kids) and Amazon Prime (Jack Ryan ad in the app and Roku or something else), too. Unavoidable but as I said above, unacceptable. It would be cool if Netflix and Amazon had a separate feature to always start in kids mode or something. Off-topic but they prefer the Roku interface over TiVo for streaming apps, right now!

@krkaufman Also, tagging or folders with a setting in OnePass. Imagine if it would record "The Righteous Gemstones," put it in the Adult folder and then require a pin code to access it. ~sigh~ I am not sure that TiVo cares too much about feature development. Even AutoSkip is just a simulated button press!

Noelmel likes this.
  17. shannon94188

shannon94188 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Oh bloody hell, watching a bunch of episodes of a series, and I just got a pre-roll ad that was MUCH louder than the episode I just finished. Thanks for making us jump, TiVo! :(

Mikeguy and Noelmel like this.
  18. shannon94188

shannon94188 New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    just to be clear, I meant that TiVo showed me an ad for an Amazon Prime video program before showing me another episode of a series I recorded last week. :)

heyadam likes this.
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Isn’t just that available via Parental Controls?

20. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    @krkaufman Yeah, I can set a pin code to access recordings by rating but I am looking for a sort. Just a feature request, though, not a deal breaker for me like the ads.