Pre-Purchase Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Deming, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Deming

Deming New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

We're seriously thinking of buying a Tivo, but have several questions. Can you help a rookie out?

1) If we buy a Series 2 and use its wireless ability to copy recordings to a PC, is there really any need to buy anything larger than a 40hr Tivo?

2) The $150 rebate's still being offered, but the 40hr Tivo machines are shown as no longer available. Will the rebate be extended or should we try to get on some type of waiting list for the 40hr version?

3) Suppose I have a one-hour program on Tivo and want to move it to my PC to burn a DVD -- how long would that transfer from the Tivo to the PC take? (Is there some rule of thumb for guestimating the time?) Note: Assume the PC isn't doing anything else like handling a major download.

4) I often see posts (here, eBay, and elsewhere) citing specific model numbers. Are there some 40hr versions which are more desirable that I should look for or others which are perceived as more error prone and which I should avoid?

Deming

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    1) There's very little reason to by anything other than a 40 hour TiVo. A 40hr Tivo will only have the capicuty for about 12hrs at "best" quality. It's much cheaper to upgrade it yourself if you want more capacity. Why spend $150 on an 80hr unit when you get a 40 hr for $50 and a 250GB HD to upgrade with for less than $100 and increse the capacity to over 300hrs (85hrs at best quality)

2) get the factory-renewed one.

3) That all depends on which recording quality was used and the type of network - wired, wireless G, wireless B.

4) As far as reliability is concerned, they're all the same.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    for a show recorded at the high setting on a wired network it is about real time transfer on a wired network and a little more on a wireless network.
    60 minute show = 60 minute transfer. You can batch them up though and let them run over night.

there is an older 240 model that has better USB chipset that doesn ot relay as much on the CPU for doing transfers. the current 540 model uses more CPU resources for its cheaper USB chipset and thus is slower at transfers. You will not find 240 models in stores anymore, but may come across them on ebay.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    How are the 140 models in this respect?

5. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

Advertisements

On a wired network my 1 hour highest quality recordings take about 1:30 - 2:00 hours to transfer to my PC.

I've never seen anything transfer in real time(1hour show transfering to the PC in 1 hour).

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What do you mean "140" model?

There are 140 Hr current (TSN beginning with 540) models, and ols models with a TSN beginning with 140. The both work about the same network wise, with the 540 slightly faster.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

there afre 4 settings - basic, medium, high, best - I was referring to the third setting of High. On my 32 inch TV I so not see a perceptible difference bewteen high setting and best setting. Do not see it on the PC monitor or my smartphon as well.

I use medium for things like talk shows or game shows - Those transfer at better than real time but I only did that as a test a while back as I don ot TTG those shows usually.

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Member

Mar 13, 2004
    I have friends who have 40 hour ones only, and when they go on vacation for 1 week they could have issues with things not being recorded if they haven't finished watching things etc. and new things are piling up.

Personally, I got an 80 as my first, a 40 as my second. I upgraded the 40 immediately so that we can have a good supply of shows we like to watch as our own personal VOD system.

9. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    Get a 40 hr TiVo at compusa or best buy for $20 after rebate and upgrade that puppy.

Here's an example of what you can do:
    TiVo hardware: $20
    2 200GB hard drives (on sale at compusa): $100
    Instantcake: $20
    Weaknees upgrade bracket package: $33

Now, granted you're floating a good amount of rebate money here, but you can essentially get a ginormous TiVo for under $200. Really, if you wait for the right hard drive deal, you can do even better than that, too. Also, notice that this is only one option. You don't HAVE to use the Instantcake software -- there's free software available. Personally, it was worth the $20 to me my second time around to get Instantcake and save some time. There's also other hardware out there, too.

Long story short: get the 40 hour TiVo -- the hardware is the same & that's all you really need.

10. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I didn't think the concept was that difficult considering I was responding to a post about different models identified as "240" and "540" and that HD size isn't relevant.

11. cheezus

cheezus New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    E of MT, W...
    Check out http://www.tivo.com/2.0.1.asp

I just got my new (well, refurb I guess) TiVo fedex yesterday. The second deal on the page, $30 tivo w/ 12 month subscription was great. On activation they applied the cost of the 12mo sub to my lifetime service. $330 for tivo with lifetime was a good deal.

...now I just need to find a usb ethernet adaptor for it........

Edit: oh yeah -- the best part: NO STINKIN REBATE!

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    If you plan on burning a lot of DVDs, which you might even if you upgrade the hard drive, you might want to consider one of the TiVOs with built in DVD burner. Yes, you lose a little bit of editing flexibility, but you will gain efficiencies in burn time and over ease.........

Just a thought....

13. jgaermom

jgaermom Member

Oct 22, 2005
    You might want to consider the 80 hour humax. If you want to burn shows to DVD it takes about 10 minutes to burn a 1 hour Dvd whereas it takes about an hour to transfer the show to tivo to go and another long time to burn the dvd. I love my humax. :) Judy

14. melfank

melfank New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think the 240 and 540 are "model" numbers and 140 is the number of hours of recordable time, as opposed to the 40 or 80 hour recorders. So I think the confusion was that you were asking about hrs on a post that was talking about Model numbers. So I don't think the "concept" was difficult, if you were talking about the same thing but I dont' think you were.

15. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Wrong!
    TCD140060 (as seen in my sig) aka the 140

My explaination that you quoted even states that we are talking about model numbers and that HD size isn't relevant to the discussion.

Try to keep up. This ended weeks ago.

16. melfank

melfank New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Well....thank you so much for making my first post here such an enjoyable one. I was just trying to help out. I said I as willing to be wrong, but you didn't need to shout it. Also I think it is ironic that your last statement was that this ended weeks ago. I think you should look in the mirror and figure out who can't let it end, geesh get a grip on that hostility...

As the other guy stated your question just didn't make sense, I should have taken a queue from your response to that question that you weren't the most pleasant person in the world. Cheer up!!

17. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You asked for a correction if you were wrong and you got one. Quit whining about it.
    "how are the 140 models in this respect?

How does this not make sense when the subject being discussed is how the USB chip sets affect CPU usage and transfer times in the 540 and 240 models?

18. frayedend

frayedend New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    You can get the 80 hour model for like $80 after rebate, so if you don't want to mess with upgrading a refurbed 40 hour, it's well worth it.

Also, the dvd burner model sounds good but I've seen some bad reviews of them.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

the 140 did come up in relation to model numbers, and classicsat did acknowledege that. I have no idea why mick66 was in such a bad mood when replying (Disclaimer - I have been in same said bad mood when replying sometimes - no stone casting by me ;) )

that out of the way - classicsat was wrong in his look at the model 140 vs 540.

the 140 model came out before the 240 for a short lived period. One difference I know about is that the 140 has USB 1.1 hardware in it and that will be NOTICEABLY slower than a 540 or 240 model.

The 240 model in fact is more or less the same as the 140 but it has USB 2.0 hardware. I personally would not get a 140 model.
    the 540 came out more recently and was designed solely to save on maufacturing costs, thus it has the cheaper USB hardware that has to rely on the CPU to support the USB processing.

that is all that is in that story, no need for a fuss about it.

PS - I have a Toshiba RS TX20 that has worked very well for me (it has same transfer speed as a 540 model) and is in fact basically a 540 with a DVD added in, but with slightly better parts as specced by Toshiba. I maybe burn 3 DVDs a month on it though and have seen reports of people who burn more frequently running into porblems - I would not call the reports widespread however

check the TiVo with DVD forum here for more info

20. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    That 240/540 info might of answered some of my questions.. If my post later is way off base I might need some further clarification :)