Pre-Converting Files

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jtcweb1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I'm running pyTivo on my Windows Home Server. Everything works great except for files that have to be converted, the computer just doesn't have the horsepower to stay ahead of watching. My understanding is the pyTivo uses ffmpeg to convert the file and then transfer it to the Tivo.

So my question is, how can I use ffmpeg to convert the file on another computer and save this converted version to the WHS so it will not have to run the conversion on the fly? Some of these files are mpg, but I'm not sure what the actual format is inside the mpg container.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, specifically, one may simply view the ffmpeg report in the pyTivo log (I think debug mode must be set on to do this) or in the NPL info tab (I know debug mode must be set to do this) for any given file and issue the command to ffmpeg. I'm sure William can give you a test that will produce a command in general for any observed file. A better method, however, would be to pass all the files through VideoRedo or Handbrake to produce a TiVo compatible file.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can use PyTivo and the Push feature. I have done push vs. pull on a .mp4 file. A 700 mb .mp4 file when pushed, stays the same size, while pulled (called from the Tivo), it grows 3-4x, so there is conversion in the process to tivo format.

4. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I've never used handbrake before, are there instructions someplace to product a Tivo Native file?

5. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Can you explain the push feature of pyTivo? I'm not sure how to initiate it.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use KMTTG with PyTivo, and simply select the file to push in KMTTG and its done.
    KMTTG will also initiate the decoding on ffmpeg and handbrake.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    In the pyTivo web interface, simply drill into the share and select the video(s) to transfer. With vidmgr, all transfers are pushes.

8. Jan 1, 2012 #8 of 20
    jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I have pyTivo running on my headless Windows Home Server. Is there a way to get to the web interface from another computer on my network?

9. Jan 1, 2012 #9 of 20
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's assuming two things - 1. That the files are in mp4 format. 2. That the TiVo involved supports mp4 as a native format.

----------------------------------------

To the OP: What format are the source files and what model is the destination TiVo?

10. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The pytivo web interface defaults to port 9032, try <homeserverIP>:9032 in a browser on another computer.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I just tried this using my Ipad 2, using safari and surfing to my PC's IP, ie: http://192.169.1.100:9032, and the pytivo web interface showed up. I then tried a transfer and the file went to the PC.

12. noseph

noseph New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    MA
    I use WinFF http://winff.org/html_new/ to convert my videos (mostly mpg) to mp4 for streaming to my S3.

13. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    pytivo's web interface has provisions for moving videos either direction. Selecting videos on the tivo such as you did will move them to the computer running pytivo. Selecting videos in the video shares on the pc, pytivo will move them to your tivo.

If you will tell us what type of tivo you have, we can tell you the specs for the mp4 files to prepare for it so they can be pushed without transcoding.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
  15. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You can either use the WHS console interface from another machine and then go to the desktop (I have an add-in for that) or, which I have some to prefer, use remote desktop and login to the headless unit. (this is not officially supported, but I have never had an issue with it)

I like the theory of vidmgr, but the instructions were unclear to me and it quickly got too deep for me to care to learn how to install it.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    He's talking about pyTivo -- there's no reason to do either of those things. It's just a web server; connect with your browser.

http://yourserver:9032/

17. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    If I'm reading this right then py worked as designed. You set where the shows download to during the setup and that is where they will go. You can move the files to the pc home share or from the home share to the Tivo. It isn't a streaming service.

If I read you post wrong then I apologize...

Having said that, if the Tivo is hacked and you have webplus running, you can use it to stream video's but it's not efficient at all. There are also a number of other applications you can use to stream content to your mobile devices...

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, I wasn't trying to stream anything. It was only a test to see what it would do if I accessed pytivo with another device on my network.

19. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Thanks, this is awesome.

I don't know why I did not know I could do this with pytivo, but it makes my entire setup easier to manage. Now I really don't care about getting vidmgr working as I can use my Xoom or ipod touch to have these sent from my whs.

20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I also have a windows home server running pyTiVo and it works fine streaming videos from my box. The media smart has pleamty of horsepower.

On the premier the transfer rate is fantastic and I can start watching right away... I usually wait a couple of minutes to let the stream buffer a little on the older S3's...

PyTiVo works significantly better than TiVo desktop in this regard.