Pre-Air VOD Airing of: Smash - Pilot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jlb, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    iTunes and Amazon VOD have the pilot for Smash up now.

I watched this with my wife and daughter yesterday and we all really liked it. I think the cast is great and the premise pretty good.

My only question is that if this goes one season, presumably to when the show opens on Broadway, what will they do for a second season?

Kat McPhee is so easy on the eyes and Megan Hilty was a great coup/add for the show.

Anyone else catch it?

2. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I attended a screening on the 9th, and this got spoiled by a couple EPs during the Q&A:

They'll finish S1 with the show premiering off Broadway, and S2 will deal with them taking it to Broadway.

I was surprised how much I liked this. Definitely lots of potential with Katharine McPhee, Debra Messing was great, and it was nice to see Jack Davenport (the surly British choreographer) on TV again. I'll be watching.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The pilot is also available for free from iTunes right now. NBC is really pulling out all the stops to try and make this a huge hit. Since they don't have much going for them right now, they're really banking on this being the thing that helps begin their turnaround.

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Smash sounds like it could be a cool show based on the title. Then I read the OP up to the word Broadway and suddenly it doesn't sound that great.

5. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just like people avoided a great show in Friday Night Lights because they didn't think they'd be interested in a show about football, I think you should check out this show and judge it based on its merits. Every critic review I've read of the pilot was very complimentary and I'm really looking forward to it.

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'll hold out for the airing on NBC so the TiVo can record it so I can watch it on my actual TV.

Looking forward to the show. Katherine McPhee is a major serious hottie that sings decently enough. Megan Hilty played the role of Glinda in the L.A. production of Wicked when I went to see it.

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks, just downloaded the SD version for free to my Tivo.

8. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Just watched it on my Apple tv. I liked it a lot.

9. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed the 720p version off Usenet and will watch tonight.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Downloaded this from iTunes and liked it much more than I thought I would. I definitely could see a Glee sort of marketing thing happening for this show... the latest tunes from it available for download the day of the show.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You may have missed this in the original post.. I sure did. (I was coming back here to post this.)

It's available, FOR FREE, from Amazon. I downloaded it last night. They called it HD, but it was only between 1.5 and 2 gigs IIRC.. (mpeg 4?) Took quite a while to download over my WiFi bridge, but I got it.

I say "meh" to the show. Thought it would be more GLEE-like.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Downloaded it from Usenet. Liked it a lot. I liked that it wasn't Glee Redux, and that it was a drama that just happened to include some singing when it seemed like it needed to.

Not sure if this is is a spoiler-safe thread or not, so I'll tag it just in case.
    Felt like it moved at lightning speed, particularly compared to how slowly real Broadway stuff gets developed from what I've heard. Some of that was justified in the plot (the video getting leaked, the producer (?) trying to beat her soon to be ex-husband, etc.) but it still felt a bit like I wanted to jam on the brakes a bit.

Hated the baseball number. Ick. HAAAAAAAATED it. The big song, the one at the end, was brilliant though. Loved that one since the first time I heard it in the trailers. (Is there a term for that type of song, the big "star" moment?)

Loved Kat McPhee in this. She is really, really good. Thank goodness she lost on Idol. :) Not sold on Megan Hilty though... thought she over-acted a bit. Liked everyone else in this.

I'm eager to see where this goes.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Possibly mostly rhetorical, but: why on earth did NBC save this for a mid-season show? I mean, this is such a high profile show, with top line talent in front of and behind the camera. I'd say it's easily NBC's best new show of the entire season. Is it just that they were hoping by waiting, they'd catch the other networks at a weaker point in their scheduling? Or just that they're hoping to capitalize on the Super Bowl?

14. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I know it's free. I'm still holding out. I want to watch it in real actual HD on my TV. The only way I can do that is to have the TiVo record it.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think they realized that their fall season was going to be weak and didn't want it to get lost before they had a chance to properly promote it. Between the Super Bowl and The Voice, they knew they'd have much stronger platforms to promote it and to support it in midseason.

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Is this thing premiering after the Superbowl? If it is, I am glad I could download it.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's premiering on Monday night, the day after the Super Bowl.

I've never understood why networks place such a high value on the post-SB time slot. I'd guess that on the East Coast, the game ends so late that the vast majority of people don't leave the TV on to watch whatever comes on after, and in the rest of the country, where the game ends earlier, the percentage of people who keep watching, especially in the age of DVRs, must not be very high.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    How is it NOT HD when downloaded from Amazon?!?!?!?

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Amazon stuff might be at HD resolution, but it is lower bitrate and higher compression ratio than most OTA broadcasters.

20. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York
    I clicked on this thread, solely out of curiousity. So glad I did. Just downloaded from iTunes and LOVED it! Really looking forward to the show and thanks to the posters here for sharing the info!!