PPV: I thought you needed your phone line plugged in to order?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bnbhoha, Jan 19, 2006.

1. bnbhoha

bnbhoha Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Pay per view, my phone has not been plugged into my tivo for a while (I only do it with major updates). My understanding was that when you order the PPV movies, your phone had to be plugged in. This year I ordered three movies. The first two, I had my phone plugged into the receiver and on the last movie I wanted to see what it would say if I didn't have the phone plugged in; however, it worked and I was able to order the movie.

Did they change this? I couldh have sworn I needed my phone plugged into the receiver. My only concern is that I don't want my people/guests ordering movies when I'm not home and w/o my permission. Thanks

2. Pearhead

Pearhead Zippity Do Da

Nov 26, 2005
    The phone line is only used to upload your purchases for billing. You can order all you want up to a point.....After a while it will complain and turn off ordering until it "phones home".

3. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yeah, PPV info is stored in the access card.

In the past, sometimes when you buy used equipment you'd discover that the access card had 30 untransmitted PPV events and DTV wouldn't let you activate it unless you paid for them.

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I prefer ordering my PPV events from the Directv website. That way, it gets transmitted to both my DTivos and I can then watch it on either TV.

5. TechniKal

TechniKal New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Question - when you purchase PPV online, does the DirectTivo automatically record them, or do you have to tell it to do it manually?

I'm thinking of moving to a VoIP setup and the only landline dependency I have left is my DirectTivo. I know there are ways to get DTivo to work with VoIP, but if it's just a matter of ordering online vs. ordering via the remote, I can live with that...

6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Actually, D* usually won't let you activate used equipment with a USED card from another customer. (this is one reason why you SHOULDN'T even try... ;) )
    If you want to activate a used receiver, you just get a new card & you won't have this problem...

7. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Yes, you still have to tell it manually.

If you know about on-line PPV ordering, there is really NO reason to even need a phone line - please do a search on this for umpteen discussions on this... ;)
    Other than once a day nag screen, there is no need for it.