PPP Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Thomas Reynolds, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Thomas Reynolds

Thomas Reynolds New Member

Dec 29, 2003

Advertisements

Well the external modem failed with my VoIP also. :(

Looking at help pages all over the Internet I can't for the life of me find out HOW THE TIVO calls home THROUGH the Internet after the PPP connection is successfully established. Nothing I read says that the TIVO dials some Internet IP out there or URL to get its data.

Second, how will this work for us Directivo users if it connects via the Internet anyway? We won't be able to order PPV right? What's the point for us Directivo users?

I guess I'm confused since I thought that Directivo 'services' are only available through the phone line and not through Internet unlike regular Tivo users, who have the choice of both.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm not up on the PPP thing. But, I can say that your DirecTV DVR doesn't really need to make any calls after the initial one. Only for the sports packages and for PPV. You can order PPV using the DirecTV website. The advantage to doing that is that the PPV will be available on all DirecTV receivers on your account. You will start getting nag screens complaining about not being able to call but that can be cleared easily.

3. Thomas Reynolds

Thomas Reynolds New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    But what about software upgrades?

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    lol Thomas... what software upgrades? 6.2 last year is all we'll be getting unless you hack your unit.

5. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001

Advertisements

This is the serial cable you need or you can use the cable that comes with a lot of TiVos and a null modem adaptor and a gender changer (F to F).

If you make this cable you do not need the null modem adapter or gender changer. Those are only needed if you use the serial cable supplied with many TiVos.
    [​IMG]
    then read the text at this link to make the connection work:
    http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/45.html

I had little problem after I realized that the instructions were for an older version of XP and I just set the parameters as suggested in the text even though the menus were not exactly as shown.

Also you will probably want to turn off the Window's firewall and assign two IP addresses for your TiVo to use.

I also had to go to a slower speed than the default BUT that is probably because I needed to use a long cable. (I used 19200 I think)

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It makes an IP connection to a servers omewhere to exchange data or whatever. It really doesn't care how it is connected to the internet.

PPV calls are made directly to DirecTV's modem pool though, and can only be made with the built in modem. You can order them from the web.