Powering up lock up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Buster52, May 29, 2020.

1. Buster52

Buster52 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    My new/used Tivo 3 I just bought locks up on powering up when I try to use my extended drive. If I remove the extended drive it starts OK. I believe the extended drive worked on the old Tivo 3. What can my problem with the Tivo 3.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Bad extended drive or its external case.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you tested the external drive yet using the manufacturer tools? What is the extender drive model and is your TiVo an S3 OLED or HD?

Scott

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Do not ignore the possibility that your problem could still be your S3 power supply, ESPECIALLY if it has not already had the caps replaced.

Even thought the external drive has its own power, just trying to access it may be the minor extra load that stops your box for booting. For example, when my THD power supply finally started to fail a few years back, everything seemed to be working fine until one reboot failed to finish. I found that simply unplugging the Ethernet cable from the THD reduced the power load enough to let it boot normally, then it would be fine even with the Ethernet reconnected. Replacing the caps on the PS solved that issue.