Power, volume, and mute button programming for TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by moyekj, May 10, 2020.

1. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I searched through TiVo online help and manuals for the Stream 4K but didn't see anywhere how one is supposed to program power, volume and mute buttons to control a TV in IR mode. I haven't received my Stream unit yet (supposedly tomorrow) so can't check myself if it's obvious to do, but has someone already done this?

2. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
  3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Thanks but don't see anything there that specifically indicates there's a GUI on the device to tell it your TV model like when programming TiVo DVR remotes for your TV. If it only relies on CEC that's not going to work for me as my run of the mill TV I plan to use this with doesn't support that.

4. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    You can’t.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, I initially hooked it up directly to my main tv just to set it up and power, volume, input just worked. I then moved it to my bedroom connected to my receiver which connects to the tv. Power works on both the tv and receiver, volume only on the tv, and input does nothing. Not ideal.

babsonnexus and cybergrimes like this.
  5. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yeah that's what I was driving at, apparently you can't. I'm disappointed too.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Totally absurd if it is the case. It's basically a non-starter and a huge oversight if so. Having to use more than 1 remote would kill the whole experience for me.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah I'm not sure how the remote works.

Seems odd to assume some sort of automatic setup would work for everyone.

8. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    andriod tv home> settings> remote and accesories..

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just as a test.... try going to the remote portion in settings and remove the TiVo remote. It should automatically detect that it's no longer connected and pop up a screen offering to reconnect. If not then pull the plug and reboot it. It'll definitely detect at startup.

I'm wondering if it attempts to detect the equipment when it pairs the remote.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That shows the remote, but it doesn’t offer a way to change the TV/reciver codes. It still uses IR for the TV/receiver, not CEC, but somehow automatically picks the IR codes for the various buttons.

11. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    It's starting to feel like all TiVo did was the app part, no real work on the system portion like a UI for the remote or the SDR/HDR color space changing, etc

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Even the search in their app is terrible. It seems to use the built in Google search, which results in non-TV related responses, and it's the only search on the whole system that doesn’t have the voice dictation option.

This is not the AndroidTV device they sell to MSOs. This is a rebranded AndroidTV box from a 3rd party with some apps you can’t delete.

cybergrimes likes this.
  13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Can you imagine if this little box could talk with our Tivo boxes??

14. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    @Dan203 I see you edited your post about the remote. So it is in fact Bluetooth?

I wonder if it could be paired with a Shield, if the input button would still work since Shield allows IR device selection.

15. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Same result

16. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Try following the same as you would with the Tivo DVR. Use the Tivo DVR to get your codes.

moyekj likes this.
  17. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I just ran into this myself. Setup on main tv, worked fine, took out to garage tv and only the power/input buttons work. No volume
    :(

Noelmel likes this.
  18. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Doesn’t work

19. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    From a different thread looks like IR programming can be done as with a DVR TiVo remote:
    TiVo Stream 4k is NOW AVAILABLE

Hold TiVo + TV Power button for 5 secs
    red light blinks
    enter 4 digit code for your TV/device

From a TiVo DVR remote you can to Settings--Remote, CableCARD&Devices--Remote Control Setup--Set TV Power, Volume and Mute to get list of potential 4 digit numbers for your TV (which I have done and noted down in preparation for Stream setup when I get it).

Hope the above works. Ridiculous there's not something built into settings to guide you through the above for the Stream on it's own even if above does work.

NOTE: Credit to @schatham above for saying the same in fewer words.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  20. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    As others have found and reported, the Stream 4K automatically setup IR code for my TV so that the power and volume buttons worked out of the box with no manual setup. For the "input" button it doesn't work properly as it doesn't allow me to scroll TM menu to pick inputs. I remember having to do "IR learn" on that button on my TiVo DVR remote to get that working properly. Don't know if IR learning is possible with this remote.

Noelmel likes this.