Power Supply Replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by denverandy, Jul 28, 2020.

1. denverandy

denverandy Tivo Old timer

Jan 12, 2011
    Denver
    Just wanted to share my recent experience - I have a Series 3, and after a power outage here it never came back on. Figured it was the power supply. I've always had good experience with WeakKnees, but they wanted $99 for a new PS, plus return shipping. (They send you a refurbished one, charge you $199, then you send your old one back, and they refund $100). Instead I found someone on Ebay ("Dvrnerds") who paid shipping both ways and only charged $60. I sent him (Rodney) my PS, he replaced the capacitors, and returned it to me. He even send me a T8 bit as I didn't have one (I used a vise grip to remove the one T8 screw).

Anyway... my Series 3 is back up and running. I use it for OTA DVRing.

Andy, Denver CO.

HerronScott likes this.
  2. Majik45

Majik45 New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a Tivo HDXL sitting on my table open with what I assume is a bad power supply. Debating on trying to buy a new power supply for $50 to $60 (not going to spend $100 from WeakKnees) or just upgrading to Tivo Roamio for like $200 from Ebay. Debating which is the better option at this point. I have another Tivo HD that is still going strong since I bought it. I only use these for OTA broadcasts.

denverandy likes this.
  3. denverandy

denverandy Tivo Old timer

Jan 12, 2011
    Denver
    Good luck. Thinking about all the technology at my home, the fact that this Series 3 (with LCD display) is still working great 13-14 years after I bought it is amazing.

4. Majik45

Majik45 New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I decided to get the Power Supply repaired at this point, as the Tivo is basically worthless while not working, but if it is working I'm guessing worth at least $100. I contacted the above guy (Ebay user name is actually velocdesign) and even though his listing for a new power supply was for a different model, he said he could do my model as well. And he even gave me $10 off as my model doesn't use as many capacitors. He was very responsive and easy to deal with.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If folks are in the SF Bay Area needing a power supply, I guess I could sell an entire Tivo HD for relatively cheap.

Another TCF member sent it to me long ago and I paid for shipping which unfortunately turned out to be more than estimated. It has no active service and thus can't be activated now anyway, so it's basically a doorstop. I had booted it a bunch of times before and confirm it boots, outputs video and I could see the recordings on the drive.

Whenever I move, if it's not gone, the unit will probably go to e-waste.