Power Supply or Something Else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by juliandracos, Apr 1, 2019.

1. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014

Advertisements

Basically last night my Roamio OTA restarted and ended up in a reboot loop. It would start to boot, then go off and start again. It was an endless loop that was got worse. It was virtually off and on this morning.

I decided to check if it was the hard drive. I had an old SSD sitting around. I plugged it in instead and the loop stopped. It started to boot up and went to the we are going to update phase. Since SSD are not great for this and it is small, I turned it off. I bought a new hard drive. Western Digital Blue at 5400 RPM.

However, this hard drive did not work. It simply ended up rebooting. I plugged in the SSD and again, that worked fine.

My guess is that the power draw is much less on the SSD so it will boot. However, it is too much on a regular hard drive to boot.

Thoughts on this? Tivo's sale just ended up I would rather repair than replace, but seeing professional repair costs I am better off replacing unless I can repair it myself.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use WD Red drives (WD10EFRX, WD20EFRX, WD30EFRX) as is the currently recommended drives. You do not need to connect to a PC as it will use up to 3TB, but for up to 8TB, you need to connect to PC. These use he least power and produce the least heat.

3. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014
    That may be recommended due to the quality of the drive for constant read/write. The maximum power draw is the same between models. There should be no issue booting this drive compared to a red.

4. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    A new power supply is pretty inexpensive ($6) for a Roamio OTA, though I've wondered how much they charge for shipping. I've been tempted to buy one just in case, but think I have a power supply for a external hard drive that would work in a pinch so I have held off.

TiVo Accessories| power adapter |TiVo Roamio and more

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

I priced a power adapter not too long ago and the shipping was close to $15

jth tv likes this.
  6. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014
    There is the power supply that is on the board. Then there is the power adapter than is external. The power adapter is only $6. The supply is cheapest on Ebay. It runs $35 w/ shipping.

I will use an adapter from an external hard drive to see if that works.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    ThAbtO likes this.
  8. juliandracos

juliandracos New Member

Oct 11, 2014
    I used the external hard drive's power adapter. That resolved the problem. No expensive inside parts to replace.

jth tv likes this.